Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying Advice

a17thc

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have reading the threads for weeks and found very helpfull. I'm looking to buy a 997 and I'm after some guidance.
I have seen two cars, first a 3.6, 32k miles, 19s wheels, in black and the pics look fab. it is a private sale and no warranty is available.
The second in silver, 3.8s, in silver, 43k miles, just had major service and has the bonus of a OPM warranty til end of 09..

Looking for your thoughts ?

put the private sale car through a 111 point warranty renewal check and see what comes out

If you want our thoughts on which car a non-'S' or 'S' that's easy....an 'S'. Go to your local OPC and try both, you'll then know which is right for you but you know my opinion. The 'S' has better brakes, better performance and level of standard equipment over the 3.6.

The Q. regarding these 2 cars head to head is difficult to do remotely. Buying from an OPC gives peace of mind that the checks have been done and they have a responsibility to you post sale. Private sale will be more 'sold as seen' and it will be up to you to do the checks.

Get a Peter Morgan PPI check done on the private car and ask if the seller will have the 111 point inspection done and correct anything that turns up. If he won't then he probably knows something you will later find out.

Even with the opc car ask to ensure the history of the car is genuine as one of our 911ukers found out the opc had sold him a hire car which subsequently has caused a whole heap of problems. It's currently in the hands of the courts I think.

Keep asking the questions and put more info on the cars up e.g. all options etc so that we can tell you what you are missing. There are plenty of cars on the market which will tick all your boxes :thumb:

Pete

The 3.8 has sunroof, comm pack, phone, cd, sat nav, xenos, bose, electric heated memory seats.. Porsche warranty until Nov..

The 3.6 has, 19s wheels, sat nav, 32k miles not much more to be honest
Sounds like the way forward is the S..

can somebody plse confirm,, is the "S" wider at the rear than the carrea 3.6..

can somebody plse confirm,, is the "S" wider at the rear than the carrea 3.6..

I don't think so although someone will be on here to correct me if I'm wrong. Only the 4 and 4S have the wide rear.

What your car is missing is imo PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust) although this can be retro fitted for ~£1500 and sports seat which are really good. If the seats are electric it may be that you do have the sports seats but again I could be wrong.

If your buying from opc they must put a full years warranty on and not just 10 months.

Goog luck with your buy.

Pete

If your buying from opc they must put a full years warranty on and not just 10 months.

Pete[/quote]

Not sure I'm 100% correct, but Worth asking the question? When I bought my Car from an OPC it had 11 months Porsche warrenty still left, and because OPC approved cars come with a min of 12 months warrenty I ended up with 23 months warrenty (11m Porsche + 12 OPC) on a car that was just short of a year old.

Therefore the car your looking at from OPC mite actually have 22 months warrenty cover. As the old OPC warrenties are transferable, and new onces are a differrent scheme.
Worth asking the question when next talk to OPC?

Cunno,

You are right if the car is still within 2 years old. OPC must give at least 12 months therefore they add the 12 mo porsche warranty onto the end of the manufacturers.

I had assumed given the number of miles on the 2 cars in question they were older than 2 years old. If not you are correct.

My car was exactly 12 months old the day I signed so I missed the extra 12 months for free :sad:

Pete

Hi guys,

Both cars are 54 plates, the Cs has the warranty til Nov and is a private sale, in fact both are private.

I have spoken to the owner of the c2 (3.6) who has no problem with the porsche inspection ..

The other car CS will call him tomorrow, is it worth getting a check with having a porsche waranty and just had 4 year service in Nov.. I'm pretty clued up on cars, but not 911's. Owned M3's for the past three years and seen the light, although I did have a 2.5 boxster for 2 years..

Anth

For peace of mind I would have the car PPI inspected regardless as you never know the car might have been in an accident since the warranty was put on, something you may not see until you get underneath. Also because not all things are covered under warranty the owner might be offloading for a reason. I'm naturally suspicious :)

Get some more opinions then make a judgement.

Pete :thumbs:

There is no difference in width between the C2 and C2S. The C4S (4wd) is 44mm wider accross the @rse.

Jamie said:
There is no difference in width between the C2 and C2S. The C4S (4wd) is 44mm wider accross the @rse.

I know what that feels like Jamie, although it is a lot wider :p

Pete

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back