Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone else think new daytime LED running lights look AWFUL?

tedzwedz

Saw 2 new 997 (presumably mk.2 997's?) on the way to work this monrning, one a coupe, one a cabriolet.

First time I have noticed the LED running lights at the front in the flesh

I could not help thinking how AWFUL they looked

Im all for safety, and think having lights on all day is actually a good idea, especially on dull weather days, but on a dark 997, the ultra bright white lights looked frankly cheap and tacky, like a jap cra p car.

I love the 997 lines, but this was a no no!

IF i bought a new 997 (and its not an option at the moment!) I would insist they either slightly tinted the glass, turned them off or put masking tape on them!

Tinting option sounds best, just a tiny amount.

No offence to any new owners, just a thought, just like I dislike the orange indicators on my 996

Edward

It's like anything nowadays. At first you don't like them, then, when it becomes the norm you start to accept them and perhaps even change your mind about them. I'm not sure what to think of them if I'm honest, having not seen them on. They look great on the R8 though!

Now what I "don't" like about the new Gen II is the size of the the wing mirrors. Look like Dumbo's ears. Really look strange and out of place for me. :)

ResB said:
It's like anything nowadays. At first you don't like them, then, when it becomes the norm you start to accept them and perhaps even change your mind about them. I'm not sure what to think of them if I'm honest, having not seen them on. They look great on the R8 though!

Now what I "don't" like about the new Gen II is the size of the the wing mirrors. Look like Dumbo's ears. Really look strange and out of place for me. :)

Was in front of a an R8 last night for half hour driving back into London from Oxford, those running lights, which I like a bit more on the R8 because they are in a sort of boomerang shape (i.e. they are a feature), really show how low the car is, looked like the lights were virtually on the ground!

Thats still quite a rare car the R8, there was a second one on my street, when I got back, but otherwise I only see one about every 3 weeks, even on Kings road, etc where exotica is the norm, and 911's are more common that Boxsters

Maybe your right about familiarisation, but im not sure they work on the 997

Edward

Not nearly as ugly as the dumbo wing mirrors which are huge!

Not a big fan of them either. Especially the ones on certain Audis, which go in a funny wavy line. Looks like they've been stuck on bent!

037__scaled_600_003.jpg

Blame the EU nanny state for the compulsary introduction of daytime running lights - however, they can be switched off by the driver.

Agree totally about the giant wing mirrors on the gen2, god knows why they changed the design?! I certainly don't have a problem weeing what's behind me in my gen1.

Simon.

weeing? Freudian slip? Did you mean to say "weeing on", as in leaving for dust?

:D

:lol: I actually meant seeing, but what you wrote works too!

I like them on HD007, although they are not daytime running, only side lights......most people who've seen them think they're 8)

Think it depends on the car

I dont like leds, they look chav to me. I also cannot see the point in having them as daytime running lights as most are as bright as the main dipped beam. I dont understand why we need them? Why not just have dipped headlights on and be done with the poncy things. Its the same with fog lights, the amount of people i see who put fogs on with just side lights on is just ridiculous yet when its foggy most people have no lights on at all.
Blinkin madness and dont get me started with people leaving trolleys in the middle of tesco car park. :evil:
123..... and calm :)

TDK said:
Agree totally about the giant wing mirrors on the gen2, god knows why they changed the design?! I certainly don't have a problem weeing what's behind me in my gen1.

Simon.

Simon, I believe these mirrors are the required standard for the US market in terms of size. Porsche I also believe left them as standard for the EU countries also!

baxster said:
I dont like leds, they look chav to me. I also cannot see the point in having them as daytime running lights as most are as bright as the main dipped beam. I dont understand why we need them? Why not just have dipped headlights on and be done with the poncy things. Its the same with fog lights, the amount of people i see who put fogs on with just side lights on is just ridiculous yet when its foggy most people have no lights on at all.
Blinkin madness and dont get me started with people leaving trolleys in the middle of tesco car park. :evil:
123..... and calm :)

baxter for Prime Minister!

baxster said:
I dont like leds, they look chav to me.
I couldn't agree more, they just plain ugly and on the R8 they make me convinced its a car designed for footballers

uuf361 said:
I like them on HD007, although they are not daytime running, only side lights......most people who've seen them think they're 8)

Think it depends on the car

I agree with you, much as I dislike LED lights, i think they look ok on the V8 vantage

Agree with the OP's comments that the new 997 front LED lights could look better. If the R8 makes it look so cool, why can't Porsche? Last Saturday night, as I was driving down the A1, a new Gen 2 joined from the slip road and together with the main beam, the effect was not that aesthetic. And certainly not better than a Gen 1's front beam. From behind though, the Gen 2's LEDs work a treat I think.

~ Maxie

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back