Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Purchasing from OPC

northeast canuck

I'm currently in the market for a used 997 and although I would prefer to buy from an independent, all of the cars I am interested in seem to be at OPC's. My local OPC is Newcastle, but they don't actually have any cars that fit my requirements. They are insistent, however, that they can buy any car in from any other dealer in the UK Porsche network. I bought a Boxster from them a few years ago, so I have a history with them and have been happy with their service.

My concern with this is that I cannot see how they could possibly do a better deal than I could do on my own by going direct to the dealer who is selling the car, although my local dealer is adamant that this isn't the case. They really want me to call them first whenever I see a car I like (unsurprisingly).

Would really appreciate any advice in this area, as it would be a lot more convenient just to deal with my local OPC so I don't want to go to more trouble if I have nothing to gain! Having said this, I have no problem whatsoever travelling wherever I need to in order to get the best deal. :thumb:

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Yes, I have but unfortunately they currently have no 997s for sale! Looking for a grey (possibly silver) C2S...

It's quite normal for OPCs to trade between themselves at dealer rates. I'm not sure if Newcastle OPC is standalone, but they're usually part of a wider chain, eg. Sytner, PCGB etc.

If you have a good relationship, then I'd continue with them.

OPCs are ruled by the iron fist of PCBG and they are strongly discouraged from discounting cars. In this market, you will see a decent to strong cost to change, based on a good trade in price.

Considering this, I would give your local a try OPC first, after all, it's a reasonably big investment and there's no rush?

Silver C2S are extremely common, so bide your time and wait for the right car with the right spec (and don't forgot to check the owner history. One poster on here bought his 997 from an OPC in Scotland that had previously owned by a hire company!!!).

Generally though, OPCs are not a bad place to buy from, now that they are being more sensible with the trade in. Saying that, Stirlings also comes highly recommended.

Mark Pearce at Stirlings will get offered C2S's on trade weekly and if you leave the desired spec/colour/owners etc with him he will be able to match a car quickly I'm confident. I know the opc search engine is a powerful tool and looking at cars everynight come online and go is tempting but you will pay a premium. Also take into account the 3 months you will have to wait before putting a warranty on it if not from an opc. Speak with Mark he will take you through all the pros and cons without bias.

Regarding the dealer to dealer transfer. This does happen and my local opc said they could get a car from Dublin as I had my eye on it. It would commit you to the car for at least the transport costs though.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on...

OK, with regard to OPC to OPC transfers, if they are from the same dealer group it should have no impact on the deal that you get as they all work from a group stock list.

Not sure which group owns your local OPC, but if it is either Sytner or Pendragon, they will have other OPCs in their group.

If it is a non-group transfer you will probably do better going direct to the OPC selling the car as they are unlikely to sell a nice bit of stock to a competitor for a loss or break-even.

You do pay a premium fro buying from an OPC, but in return they are more likely than most to fix everything that needs doing and are the only place that are able to sell with the comprehensive Porsche warranty and roadside assistance from day one.

The OPC in Newcastle is part of the JCT600 group, and they have other OPCs in Leeds & Sheffield. Problem is that none of them have cars that I am interested in!

I bought a Boxster a few years ago from Newcastle but I paid over the odds for it and took a shower on it when I sold it. I have always been very wary of main dealers ever since, but because I am looking at a 997 there seem to be very few of them around outside of the OPC network. I understand the reasons why of course (they're still expensive and tie up a lot of money), but it means that I might have to venture into the heart of the OPC beast once more, which is something that I am somewhat reluctant to do!!!

I will get in touch with Stirlings though, and have a chat with them as they seem to be very highly regarded here, and maybe they might have something in the pipeline...

nc listen to what Mark Pearce from stirlings has to say. He is very knowledgable about getting what YOU want and not turnover. Drop my name as I spent hours on the phone to him advising me last year before I bought my C2S from OPC!

Hope you get what you are looking for.

Pete

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back