Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 997 - paint protection

allyb

Hi

I've just taken delivery of a new white 997.2. This might be a stupid question but on the body of the car in in front of the rear tyres is a plastic type sticker that looks like it's to prevent stone chip damage or something like it. Am I meant to remove this or leave it on? It isn't quite the same white as the car and I imagine as it gets dirty it will get even more different.

Might sound stupid but I live in Dubai and the last new car I bought here they left the plastic covers on all the seats!

Cheers

Ally

Those stone guards are there to stay normally. As you do get some kickback from the front wheels and obviously the body widens.

I'm pretty sure mine are transparent. They don't discolour - just make sure you give them a good wash when washing the car.

Jamie
Ive got a white 997 and although the stone guards are transparent I find they do discolour within 12 months. So I replace them every year. Thinking of getting some black one's made next time. Mite make the car look a bit like the old white 911 turbo, as I have also got a black wing. :hand:

Cunno said:
Jamie
Ive got a white 997 and although the stone guards are transparent I find they do discolour within 12 months. So I replace them every year. Thinking of getting some black one's made next time. Mite make the car look a bit like the old white 911 turbo, as I have also got a black wing. :hand:

I suppose discolouration would be more noticable on a white car than on my Meteor Grey. How much do they cost to replace each year out of interest? And, do you have to go to OPC or Porsche Bodyshop?

Oh, and I think black would look good! Why don't you photoshop it and post up for our opinion? Or if you aren't great on photoshop there are plenty of guys on here that will do it for you happily.

Hi Ally,

I had a white 997 in Dubai before I moved to the UK. When I picked up the car from the dealer, one of the protective stickers was peeling off in the corner. The dealer replaced it and I couldn't tell that it wasn't straight from the factory.

On Carrara white, those stickers do look a little off-colour, even from new, especially in the Dubai sun. But I wouldn't take them off, as they do offer some protection.

Also on white, they do tend to show dirt along the seam lines. You just need to pay some attention to that area when washing the car.

Enjoy the car and don't forget to drive up to jebel Hafeet. The road up to the top of the mountain shouldn't be missed.

Regards

I suppose discolouration would be more noticable on a white car than on my Meteor Grey. How much do they cost to replace each year out of interest? And, do you have to go to OPC or Porsche Bodyshop?

Oh, and I think black would look good! Why don't you photoshop it and post up for our opinion? Or if you aren't great on photoshop there are plenty of guys on here that will do it for you happily.[/quote]

Pictures as requested. What do you think. I like it.
As for the cost of replacing the stone guards I believe it to be £200, but cant find reciept from OPC.

Attachments

• 005_175.jpg
    005_175.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 3,812
  • 025_132.jpg
    025_132.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 3,812
Thanks everyone. Just wasn't sure whether to remove them or not.

Looking forward to a drive up Jebel Hafeet, just a shame it's rained for 4 days solid now, roads flooded and car filthy! Also a shame they seem to have put speed cameras every kilometre now, never noticed in my jeep :?

Cheers

Ally

Ally,

You should also drive up to the Musandam peninsula. The road through RAK is pretty bad due to the construction, but once you are across the border into Oman, you have 24 kilometers of pure heaven.

I remember a couple of runs on that road with the Porsche Club UAE, with a Carrera GT, a GT3RS, two GT3s and several C2S. What a blast.

There is a hotel up there (Golden Tulip I believe) so you can make it an over nighter.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back