Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Weird fault under acceleration

HarshSwine

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue with their 997 as I have on my 987 Boxster (Im assuming the affected parts will be generic to both).

Under light or heavy acceleration or even when cruising all of a sudden the revs suddenly start dying away as if I had suddenly taken my foot off the accelerator. If I push the accelerator to the floor the revs do not increase. If I take my foot completely off the accelerator and then re-apply the accelerator again the car will pick up revs as if nothing ever happened.

My thinking is that it must be an intermittent fault with the accelerator and its associated electrics/software/hardware. The car doesnt have cruise control incase you suspect it might be an infringement from the associated kit. There are no mechanical knocks or noises and no warning lights come on.

Has anyone else experienced this? What would you suspect is at fault?

The regularity of the issue has increased of late to the point where the car is undriveable as far as im concerned, but my OPC are seem reluctant to replace anything as their diagnostics come back as fine (although they have experienced the fault when testing). The issue has appeared on several occasions when pulling away at junctions causing me a few brown trouser moments and I dread to think what might happen if it kicks in whilst overtaking on an A/B road!

Any thoughts/advice will be greatly appreciated by this gutted owner.

The throttle on the 997 is controlled electonically (no cable) so suspect the fault is going to be with one of the following: throttle potentiometer, throttle pedal or throttle butterfly (or possibly the DME but would seem unlikely in this case). Sorry but can't help on how you would isolate which one is causing the fault but if you unhappy with your local OPC then it might be worth giving Porsche GP (Reading) a call - you right about not wanting to drive the car

To add insult to injury my latest courtesy car turned up. A Chrysler Sebring Diesel :sad:

Could it be a fuel line blocking maybe even a filter? Did they think that was a possibility.

In the old days I would be checking the rotor arms on the distributor cap as I've had this loss of power before so could it be an electronic ignition problem that is intermittant?

Pete

Hi

If it was a pedal problem it should in theory not rev up as it would see a problem and put in emergency running mode with a warning lamp on dash...engine check light.

It needs plugging into a piwis machine and diagnosing by an opc or a good indy that is familiar with modern 911/boxster cars.

It maybe an airmass sensor playing up or something stuck close by it restricing the air flow over the hot film part ( had this before).

Mike

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back