Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

< £30k 997

Tony Gannon, Britsh Car Auctions, CAR magazine February 2009:

"We had three 911 Carrera manuals on 56 plates going for around £35k with only 8000 miles"

"Tempting. But some analysts are predicting futher falls - and credit is becoming ever harder to find."

It makes you wonder if a 996 c4s is really the better route as pretty soon 997s will be on par with them and I dont see the 996 c4s values dropping at the rate of the 997. Eg a nice low mileage 2003 car can be had for around 27k.
What would others hedge their bets on loosing more over 2 years, an early 997s or a late 996 c4s? Im sure the 997 dynamically is a better car but I am talking about purely depreciation.

I'm not sure we currently live in a world where depreciation is predictable. Values are being driven down by a combination of lack of confidence, credit and cash.

Manufacturers, like all businesses in the current climate now have a choice as to whether they cut back on producution (with associated job losses) and/or discount, which drives down values in the existing-stock market.

Presumably this position will continue until markets start to churn and demand starts to exceed supply.

As far as the 996 C4S modle is concerned, I'm taken aback by how asking prices have fallen but this seems to be true of all recent Porsche models, cars in general and many other commodities.

Technically, I'd choose a 997 over a 996 any day but if my rather simpystic analysis is right, then it will still come back to what one can afford rather than a straight choice. Financing the dream does not appear to be as easy as it once was.

Some difference in purchase cost will always exist, even if in terms or actual cost, it reduces (i.e the % differential will remain the same but the cost in terms of real cash will drop).

With a face lift 996 advertised here for £18K, 996 C4S in the mid £20K's and 997's offered at substantial reductions against new it must be a great time to buy a dream car, as long as you have the cash.

Having not tried to obtain finance since March 07 what are the problems in trying to get HP on a car at the moment? Are they asking for larger deposits? I would imagine any form of capital deferment scheme is being reduced but you would expect that at the moment.

baxster said:
Having not tried to obtain finance since March 07 what are the problems in trying to get HP on a car at the moment? Are they asking for larger deposits? I would imagine any form of capital deferment scheme is being reduced but you would expect that at the moment.

You need the JamieMeister ....
last time he gave an update I think the suggestion was that funds were still available but I suspect with higher deposits. I'd guess margins have gone up but of course the cost of money has dropped so with a lower purchase price, I'd have thought the real costs of finance have dropped, provided of course one feels secure in one's job. :dont know:

I managed to get credit for a '55 plate 997 just before Christmas. The rate wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't horrendous either. I put down just over 20% as a deposit.

I used the following site to get my credit score before i started applying. My credit rating is "Excellent", which is why i was able to get credit (i'm assuming).

https://www.creditexpert.co.uk/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back