Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spy Pics: 2012 Porsche 998 Turbo on secret test

Niall I can understand your frustration. Here we like to think we are all one big family unlike other places. Yes there is some tongue in cheek banter between the water and air boys and girls but thats it. The whole 996 debate is a big one because it was the car that marked the change from old to new in so many ways. Turn up as a newbie to a Porsche Club (PCGB) meet in a 964 or 993 and you still get treated like scum...that Club is dead.

It comes down to principles, and if you love the '6 C4S go and get one, its is upheld as the best looking of the range. The old saying 'you pays your money and you takes your choice' says its all. Thats what we all have done.

If you've done some reading you'll understand the design challenges that Porsche faced due to emissions whilst trying to stay true to the original concept. Market forces dictate where they have had to go from there, and that lead to going more retro. Market forces also dictate the prices and they are guilty IMHO of over supply in recent years.

Welcome Niall from me... I like your views :thumb:

Obviously you/we would never want to lose the heritage that makes a 911 what it is but I agree with your points. Not taking into account the GT versions there is little to stir the soul in the 998 concept. The earlier air cooled models are actually having a second lease of life with a 'younger' generation, no more flatcaps and cardigans. The design is being appreciated by a whole new generation which is testament to it's grand design.

However, where is it going?, a minor tweak here, mini lights (I totally agree, at night you can play spot the mini/997 coming at you), larger tyres? Is this really how the brand will evolve. What happened to more drastic changes like from the 964 to the 993? Ok, so maybe Porsche designers decided that radical changes should be for new models as opposed to generation changes but is buying 'new' the only reason these things are selling? Are we looking at a more soulless purchase with every new generation.

This is all just my opinion, maybe the 997C2S will be the last of the great Carrera 911s? Food for thought? :dont know:

Don't worry I love my car. I can't take my eyes' off it. I love driving it. I love everything about it. If my IT skills work properly here you'll all get to see it! When I bought it I was right in the eye of the storm of this great sibling rivalry that exists between Prosche factions. I could have bought a 993 for the same money as I paid for the 996. The problem is, I love them both. I'd love one of each. I want to buy one of these bargain 997's but I find the idea of losing my first and only ever Porsche, my 996 to hard to contemplate at the moment. Someone once said that every Porsche feels like it was made personally for you. It's a pipedream of course but it really feels that way. Maybe I'm suffering from a sort of early Porsche ownership dementia. Like the motrogin equivalent of a doomed first love. Everyone I know loves my car too by the way. The problem is it doesn't seem to be loved very much by a very vocal zealous cabal of 'purists.' Not that I care, I just fear their influecne is holding the 911 project back currently looking at the 998. My 996, to me it looks like a drop of mercury fell from the heavens and spread into the shape of my car. Every line is so smooth, as if sketched quickly but skillfully by a great artisit while siping a Jameson. A drop of rainwater glides all the way from the roof to the rear bumper. I don't care how the engine is cooled. I couldn't give a toss. Why does this seperate me from anyone in a pre 1998 car. The Carrera GT isn't aircooled. The 959 had water cooling as far as I know. Are these crap Porsche's. Are the aircooled people and the water cooled people goijn gto drift slowly but surely apart. Should there be a 911 magazine? Should it be '964/993', or 'Air Cooled' or simply Old Porsche?
I congratulate all owners of the beautiful 993 (love the rear wheel arches). I would love to know what it's really like to drive the uber versions, GT3's etc. I would love a go at a 2.7RS to see what all the fuss is about. I would love to have a go at one of those 1970's 3.3Turbo's. In fact I'd love a go at any Turbo, I'd love a day with the new 997 Targa Dual Clutch. Maybe there is life beyond the manual. Maybe I can live without the C Pillar curve. I love the old classic 911's in the way I love so many classic cars. I can't buy one though, I need an everyday car. I love those wild flatnose versions. I love them all. Life is short. So many versions and so many versions of each version.
Every motoring correspondant has always finished a 911 review by saying the basic C2 is all you need. Which is why I went for it. And I think it really is all I'll ever need. It's incredibly quick and there is simply no opportunity to go faster either out of courtesy to other drivers, the police or the heavy traffic (okay, now and then one gets a little bit of a run at a quiet nightime stretch).
So are we a disperse bunch of sniping factions driving different cars altogether that are vaguely and conveniently bundled together under the 911 badge or are we one, a family, part of a singular passion, linked by a common experience, a fraternity of Porsche 911 adorers?

Attachments

• my_porsche_2_211.jpg
    my_porsche_2_211.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 22,105
  • my_porsche_2_388.jpg
    my_porsche_2_388.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 22,105
"Maybe I'm suffering from a sort of early Porsche ownership dementia."

then try www.confused.com :)

I need to wander into another topic somewhere. I can't decide between the following. Need advise. I have a budget of around 32K. The more the euro climbs agaisnt sterling the higher this will get but at that level I could go for;
A Prisitine Low Mileage 993 C2 or A Low Mileage 996 C4S or a 2005 997C2/S.

That is the choice. I think.

Although those 996 GT3's or GT2's (I can never remember what the difference is!) are creeping downwards nicely too. Are they usable on an everyday basis or will my wife divorce me? I have the impression that they're a track car only. Or that one of them is.

Hi Niall, welcome to the forum – great first few posts from yourself. I have some feedback from your recent post if you care to read it:

'Don't worry I love my car." Most of us love our cars on here too.

'I can't take my eyes' off it" – Jose (j8fbr on here) likes to go check whether his garage is locked sometimes twice in one evening! Me, personally likes to run my hand down her rump.

'I love driving it." And so you should – they seem to drive different from most other cars and is the reason why most of us bought such a car in the first place.

'I love everything about it.' I love most things about mine – some niggles aside it's not perfect.

'If my IT skills work properly here you'll all get to see it!" We did...twice!

'When I bought it I was right in the eye of the storm of this great sibling rivalry that exists between Prosche factions" I was in same bucket too. Practicality and running costs led me to a 996 over a 993.

'Someone once said that every Porsche feels like it was made personally for you." Interesting comment. I find the later 997s have a mass-produced feel to it.

'My 996, to me it looks like a drop of mercury fell from the heavens and spread into the shape of my car. Every line is so smooth, as if sketched quickly but skilfully by a great artist while sipping a Jameson." I'll raise a glass to that man, so so artfully phrased!

'I don't care how the engine is cooled. I couldn't give a toss.' Neither do I actually.

'The Carrera GT isn't air-cooled. The 959 had water cooling as far as I know. Are these crap Porsches?" Most certainly not.

'Are the air-cooled people and the water cooled people going to drift slowly but surely apart?" After almost 2 years of 911uk membership, there has always been banter between the 993 and 996 boys but as far as I can recall, it's always been very friendly. The 996 is seen as the superior model. :D

'Should there be a 911 magazine? Should it be '964/993', or 'Air Cooled' or simply Old Porsche?" I'm sure some exist already.

"I would love to know what it's really like to drive the uber versions, GT3's etc I would love a go at a 2.7RS to see what all the fuss is about. I would love to have a go at one of those 1970's 3.3Turbo's. In fact I'd love a go at any Turbo." Believe me, many of us on here share that passion also. :thumb:

'I'd love a day with the new 997 Targa. Maybe I can live without the C Pillar curve." I already do and love it. :)

'So are we a disperse bunch of sniping factions driving different cars altogether that are vaguely and conveniently bundled together under the 911 badge or are we one, a family, part of a singular passion, linked by a common experience, a fraternity of Porsche 911 adorers?" I'd like to think the latter and I believe a view that is shared by many on this forum. Testament is the way how some of us on here have organised meets and in Daniel's case drives to the Nurburgring and no one is in the least bit bothered about if you came air or water cooled or in Scott's case (uuf361) in a hyped up Ford!

~ Maxie :)

Welcome Niall, lovely 996, v.similar to mine except for clear indicator lenses!

I think a lot of people share your views on the evolution of the 911 series, but as ever you can't please everyone and Porsche decide on the direction, and people can like it or lump it. I for one don't mind it. I like that the shape remains instantly recognisable as only a 911 and like the more sublte changes, as in a way, it keeps the older ones (like mine) still looking kinda fresh!

With regards to your budget, it's a toughy. If you are going to use it everday, i'd stay away from the 993. Just my opinion of course, but when purchasing my car, i looked at 964, 993 and 996 and plumped for the 996 as i couldn't hack using the other two everyday!

If you do go down the 993 route, get the C2S. The best looking 911 IMHO.
996 - You could probably get into a Turbo for around that money. I don't see GT3/GT2 prices coming down that far for a decent one anytime soon...

997 is mighty tempting for that price, but i'd be a bit wary of the value being affected more drastically than the other two options in the next few years.

Just my two cents!

Taran :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back