Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nervous driving my first Porsche, what's the cure?

You may let her drive off the drive ?

I must be whipped i let her drive home from Garage the day i picked it up.

lagger said:

I did the same, but then to be fair, she had paid for it :)

tomw said:
lagger said:

I did the same, but then to be fair, she had paid for it :)
:eek:

what you getting for xmas :?:

Terence said:
Hi guys, I have been reading this forum since earlier in the year and picked up a great deal of info and advise which helped me in buying my first Porsche which I took delivery of, Sept 1 this year. A 911s with PDK gear box, Turbo wheels, GT metalic silver with carrera leather interior. A lovely looking car.

Anyway the problem is I am having problems in overcoming my fear of the car and I am finding that I drive nervously. There are some superb roads for driving through where I live, very quiet twisty country roads and reasonably quiet A roads.

What's the secret, how do I get to feel more comfortable driving the Porsche?

I am a careful driver, no accidents for the past 12 years but I have never been a nervous driver and am not afraid of travelling at speed. I also have a BMW 320d and I find that I tear around the roads in it with no problems.

Grateful for any advise.

I HAVE HAD MY C4S 997 FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW. I AM STILL NERVOUS ABOUT DRIVING IT AS WELL. I WISHED I'D GONE 993 BEFORE THIS ONE, JUST TO GET A FEEL AND USED TO A 911, BUT I HAD TO SWING FOR THE FENCES WITH THIS ONE. I GET NERVOUS GOING OVER SPEED BUMPS, PARALLEL PARKING, STALLING OUT, AND PICKING UP GIRLS. I DONT KNOW THAT THERE IS A CURE. ITS JUST THAT THE CAR SMOKES EVERYONE AND PEOPLE LOOK AT YOU, SO I FOUND ITS BEST TO TAKE YOUR TIME AND NOT SHOW OFF.

Terrence,

Enjoy your car - again, trying not to repeat what others have said, education is the key.

I was myself like you when I picked my first Porsche and to be honest, my first true sports car - I had good cars in the past but my first Porsche was a long dream that came true with my car - Porsche 911 Turbo.

So , manhood aside, I too was carefull with it in my first times.

A good thing that REALLY helped me out was taking it to a trackday, I did Snetterton - PLENTYYYYYY of runoff, so if you trying to discover the limits of your car, you wont damage anything ( apart from your ego >:) ).

I took a few instruction laps and that showed me the absolute BONKERS grip levels of the car.

To be honest I did try and the instructor was pushing it, but the turbo was just not letting it go.

I was grabbing the thing by the scruff of the neck and I swear that I could see the turbo looking at me everytime I passed the finishing line with a smile saying "is that the best you can do mate ?.... ".

The 997 is a very very good car with fantastic handling that is beyond, like someone said, the average driver.

Unless you drive it like an arse , it wouldnt pose any problems.

Give it a bit more time and it will get better ( you ! ) and I do recommend a couple of track days ( begginer trackdays are ideal, everyone is new to trackdays and there isnt a huge crowd either with powerfull cars eager to lap you ).

Go to MSV website, check for begginner trackdays.

Book at least two instructors and enjoy - start with bedford or snetterton, plenty of runoff and you will discover the limits of your car in perfect safety.

Enjoy the beast ! I got mine for a year and it still tickles when I put the key in the ignition and blast the thing !

Welcome to the family :bandit:

Firstly, I would join your local Institute of Advanced Motorists. Although they might not be that excited about you tearing around the countryside, the club will probably have a couple of ex-policemen who will be quite happy (when you have reached the IAM benchmark) to take you out for some 1-on-1 instrction on how to make real progress.

I also spent a day with Bernard Aubrey: search forum for details. An expensive course, but an excellent foundation from which you'll be able to develop your confidence.

markomate said:
Hi Terence

I felt exactly the same when I picked up my first ever 911 in Feb this year, in the rain too!!! I crawled along the M25 convinced I was going to spin off in a ball of fire :oops:

The cure?, well to borrow a well used phrase "Education education education"! Get some training, ideally 1 to 1 for a whole day, there a quite a few companies who do it, I used CAT. Did mine in March a few weeks after I got the car.

I had been driving since 1981 but I learned so much in that one day, it really shows you how good the 911 (mines a 993!) is especially in the wet (think I'm obsessed about driving in the rain now!) The payback is immediate you gain in confidence and it makes you want to really use your car, doesnt have to mean fast driving on public roads just general confidence.

The pic below shows how training helps! Last month at the Nurburgring. Fantastic!

that 993 truely smokeseveryone

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back