Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 C2S In the snow?

sadams911

Hi,

Recently got my first 911, a 2nd generation 997 C2s, fabulous car, use it every day, although not enthralled about driving it in the snow.

Any tips on driving in the snow, had a Boxster before and that was just about drivable if a little scary. Is a 997 that different in the snow?

To make matters worse I live in Yorkshire with some nice hills.

Cheers,

Steve.

I've driven in the snow in mine and it's not too bad to be honest. It's surprisingly stable when crossing from one carriageway to another when you have to leave the safety of tracks already made in the snow. :) Doesn't stop you cr@pping yourself though. :eek:

I live in Yorkshire too and have not yet had to abandon the car at the side of the road but to be honest I've only owned the car since May 2006 so we have not had too much in terms of snow. :)

Just drive steady and you'll be fine as the 997 copes with the conditions admirably. :)

had a 2s 997 for 2 years and used it a few times in snow. It is ok for a light fluffy snow but terrible on hard packed snow. Add a bit of ice and you can forget it! Had to abandon it on the way to work one day while almost everything else managed - I think any other RWD car with big tyres is the same, such as a powerful BMW.
I now have a 4s which is much better but remember it is only 4WD while you are applying power!! Now have been on hard packed snow and can make it home!!!

rwd 911 + snow on public roads = completely useless

add the big rear uk spec tyres all weather as opposed to winter tyres = completely useless

4wd C4 is better at least, well when you are moving against where throttle is needed

otherwise in the snow, use another car

of course find an empty piece of smooth wide tarmac off road with snow and then it's a useful car

sundeep sums it up - if there is more than an inch of snow around (and hills!!!) then leave it at home. The 4s is better but is only good enough to get you home slowly. Snow + hills in a 4s would still bring me out in a cold sweat!
remember the tyres your 911 will come with are probably summer tyres - rated to 7C or above (or thereabouts)

I'll report back tomorrow (or not as the case may be) as I have to drive home from Plymouth to the East Midlands - in the dark!

OK, so I do have 4WD, but summer tyres won't help! (At least they're new though!)

Actually, I would rather be in a 911 than the BMW that I used to have as a company car - at least the 911 has a bit of weight over the rear wheels!.

Trick is to use highest gear possible, no sudden braking, absolutely NO braking on turns, and imagine there is an egg between your shoe and the throttle pedal and you mustn't break it! :D ....

Alternatively, if you have 3 lanes of the M6 to yourself (or Tescos car-park) do the opposite of the above (but remember to remove grin before returning home to :thewife: )

and not forgetting when you're not using any 4wd you just have regular tyres best suited to the summer to try and possible stop

go very very very slowly especially in any ice

911UK said:
and not forgetting when you're not using any 4wd you just have regular tyres best suited to the summer to try and possible stop

go very very very slowly especially in any ice

Much, much quicker to stop sideways in snow :D :D :D

ABS is a PITA in snow, as it makes it really hard to stop :frustrated: Wish I still had my quattro coupe with its ABS switch... :wack:

Thanks for your replies,

Used the wifes 4x4 today, however did use the 997 to get home from work yesterday, luckily before the real snow hit us. Very careful with no probs until I got home, could not get the car up the drive to it's nice warm garage, had to leave it on the road outside.

All good fun though.

Cheers,

Steve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back