Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Cayenne Diesel finally offically revealed !

Porsche News

porsche_cayenne_with_diesel_engine_4_867.jpg

In a move that has been expected for several years now, Porsche has announced the addition of a diesel engine for the Cayenne SUV lineup. The company decided to introduce the diesel in response to stricter emission regulations in Europe and more favorable tax incentives.

Porsche reached in the Volkswagen goodie bag and grabbed a three-liter V6 turbo diesel which produces 240 hp (176 kW) and 550 Nm of torque. The engine allows the Cayenne to achieve an average fuel consumption of 9.3 liters per 100 kilometers while emitting 244 grams of CO2 per kilometer. As a point of comparison, Porsche estimates that the upcoming Cayenne Hybrid will use less than nine liters of fuel per 100 kilometers.

The new diesel Cayenne will go on sale in Europe in February and preparations for other markets are currently underway. All diesel Cayenne's will come equipped with the Tiptronic-S transmission and European pricing will start at €47,250.

No word on the performance, funny that !

Attachments

• porsche_cayenne_with_diesel_engine_118.jpg
    porsche_cayenne_with_diesel_engine_118.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 5,425
  • porsche_cayenne_with_diesel_engine_3_196.jpg
    porsche_cayenne_with_diesel_engine_3_196.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 5,425
  • porsche_cayenne_with_diesel_engine_4_867.jpg
    porsche_cayenne_with_diesel_engine_4_867.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5,425
  • porsche_cayenne_with_diesel_engine_1_158.jpg
    porsche_cayenne_with_diesel_engine_1_158.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 5,425
i could be tempted by one of these.

Cayenne look fantastic pulling acar trailer with a classic Porsche on it 8)

What's it going to be called? Cayenne D? I prefer Cayenne E, as in Eta - I think Greek for efficiency. Would also set it slightly apart from run of the mill 'D' badged cars and make it less obvious that this is a Porsche Diesel. Wow, I can picture Wattie squirming with disgust now........

~ Maxie :roll:

It's about time, but is a 3.0d too small? How slow will that car be?

:nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

:bye: Porsche!

It is sad Wattie, but in todays market if they are going to have a Cayenne it needs to be Diesel or alternative.

Personally I would rather have a Range Rover Sport now than a Cayenne.

Jamie said:
It is sad Wattie, but in todays market if they are going to have a Cayenne it needs to be Diesel or alternative.

Personally I would rather have a Range Rover Sport now than a Cayenne.

I am not just angry because I dislike diesels, but it is a complete dilution of the brand and a total U-turn on a very bold statement made by the Chairman some years ago. A low powered diesel has no place in a Porsche - this is purely to bring down average emissions and serves no other purpose. When you buy a Porsche, you expect the car to perform better than its immediate competitors - that is what the brand is all about - yet this will be absolutely murdered by a V10 Toaureg, a 420 CDI GL, and possibly a RRS TDV8. It will have no USP except the badge on the bonnet, and will in turn devalue the whole brand.

IMO this is close to a Gerald Ratner faux-pas: Porsche have put greed and profit above their integrity, and combined with the numerous stories of OPCs ripping off customers and the warranty debacle, I'm afraid they have now lost me as an advocate.

Just one more indication of this was the 997 C2S that I drove this week: Wasn't designed for 19" wheels, and they ruin the ride quality and bumpy road handling, yet they are fitted as standard (with no 18" option) on the S models - for marketing reasons alone!

Wattie, I disagree - they have to do this to meet Euro emissions requirements. The other option is they create a range of 1.3 litre cars to bring down the average emissions. It is a load of rubbish I know, but so is the whole Euro malarkey.

View below :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YWSYMpuCFaQ

LOJO

LOJO said:
Wattie, I disagree - they have to do this to meet Euro emissions requirements. The other option is they create a range of 1.3 litre cars to bring down the average emissions. It is a load of rubbish I know, but so is the whole Euro malarkey.

View below :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YWSYMpuCFaQ

LOJO

So, let me get this right: To bring down your average CO2 emissions, you start off with your biggest and heaviest car in the entire model range and fit it with the lowest power diesel engine available? And still end up with a Band G car in the UK? That's really going to make a big difference!

Why not build a 4-cylinder turbo-charged petrol Cayman / Boxster that could sell for €30,000 and have band E or F emissions? Or bring forward the planned hybrid Cayenne? The Lexus RX 400h weighs nearly the same as a Cayenne and does 0-100 kph in less than 7 seconds and is still band F with a 3.5 litre V6 petrol engine - and that's been on sale for 4 years now!

I'm sorry, but using a diesel is a cheap way of addressing the issue in the short term, and is the option chosen to make the most profit, not to be the best long-term sustainable solution> And to hell with the company's brand promise :frustrated:

The 3.0-litre turbo diesel engine is the latest addition to the Cayenne range and features variable turbine geometry (VTG) - a technology pioneered in the latest 911 Turbo.

The result is impressive power and torque, up to 240 bhp and 550 Nm to be precise.

It also offers low emissions and excellent fuel consumption, delivering 30.4 mpg on the combined cycle, resulting in a range of around 621 miles.

The Cayenne Diesel is equipped with Tiptronic S transmission as standard and accelerates from 0-62 mph in just 8.3 seconds.

from £40,250

Urban 11.6 l/100 km (24.4 mpg)
Extra urban 7.9 l/100 km (35.8 mpg)
Combined 9.3 l/100 km (30.4 mpg)
CO2 emissions 244 g/km

Top speed 214 km/h (133 mph)
0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) 8.3 secs
0–160 km/h (0–100 mph) 23.5 secs
Flexibility 80–120 km/h
(50–75 mph) in 5th gear 10.1 secs

I've mixed feelings about this.

Can't help agreeing with Wattie - it cheapens the brand and just takes Porsche closer to being another BMW, Mercedes & Audi; all fine marques, but mass market marques all the same.

With Porsche now having a controlling interest in the VW Group, why not leave the luxury diesel SUV's (or diesel saloons for that matter) to Audi and leave Porsche as the aspirational sports marque we all know and love?

That said, Porsche has a board of shareholders to report to and clearly believes that the introduction of diesel power to the marque will prove financially advantageous.

Is that short-termism though, an approach that's led so many of our financial institutions to the brink? While it may be financially advantageous in the short term, will the marque prove as aspirational and desirable in the medium to long term with the introduction of models such as the diesel Cayenne and the inevitable diesel Panamera? I fear it may not.

One can only contrast Ferrari's approach which, putting the shameless merchandising aside, is focussed on protecting the marque's exclusivity and desirability.

Porsche's arrogance is becoming a worry - one can only look on in wonderment at the introduction of a PDK system so far removed from the paddle systems employed not only by the other sports manufacturers but also by Porsche themselves on the RS Spyder.

So why the mixed feelings? Well, I guess that as long as Porsche can retain its financial independence then it'll still be able to make the Boxsters, Caymans and 911's we love.

This is similar to what BMW did about 5-6 years ago - tried to capitalise on a mass market (e.g. more 3-series sold in 2004 in the uk than Mondeos), and are paying the price now...

I was just reading that BMW are facing their worst crisis in their entire history: Let's face it, who aspires to owning a BMW these days? They don't really have a 'hero' car any more, and the lesser models are reps cars and two-a-penny.

If the diesel Cayenne does what the bean-counters probably hope for, Porsche will double their volume, lose their exclusivity, and the relevance of the racing programme will be completely lost: What's the point of winning Le Mans when 85% of your volume is chelsea tractors?

As it is actually a Touareg anyway, this is utterly pointless except for a short term financial boost (but even then they couldn't possibly have picked worse timing!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back