Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Used 997 Tiptronic any good?

c10vet

Hi all,

I am looking to buy my first 911, which will be a used 997 C2S for under £40k. Due to some back problems I now go for autos. I had an 2002 plate E36 M3 with SMG (not a great 'box), and now have a Golf with DSG (excellent box if a little "too efficient" and smooth for my liking..).

Does anyone have any opinion on the tiptronic box on a 997 - as I am buying used it will not be the new PDK which I know is great. I will likely buy a 2005-2007 plate car. If the Tiptonic box is very average I may even consider a manual, though my town driving (about 50%) may make this a mistake...

Thanks all!!

Chris.

If you 'need' an auto you wont be disapointed
far nicer than the notchiness of a smg box because it has a torque converter

the big benefit of the tiptronic in my opinion compared to most auto boxes, are the buttons to temporarily go to a manual mode
i.e
your in drive/auto
your coming upto a roundabout, you pres the button, go down a gear or two for the engine braking effect, then when you accelerate out of the roundabout, the gearbox goes back into the auto mode, similarly for overtaking you can go down a gear or two instad of using and waiting for the kickdown to happen

I was offered a tiptronic this week iwhich might suit
2005 54
C2s Tiptronic
Silver
Ocean Blue leather
31000 miles
PCM sat nav
Telephone
BOSE
6 cd
cruise
auto dimming mirrors and rainsensing wipers
electric memory seats
and would be under £40K
Fully prepped as only stirlings do

If you really want a Tiptronic, want a 911 and your budget is £40K then the Tiptronic is fine. The PDK is sublime but will be a long time before they will be hitting those prices (hopefully as otherwise the whole market will be screwed).

The manual is also easy to drive as you can move up the gears early and the car is still driveable at low speeds however that doesn't help in stop start conditions especially if you want a Tip for physical reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back