Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Carrera 2 or 2S?

c10vet

Hi - I am new to this site so I apologise in advance if I utter any ignorance or basic questions. Please be gentle with me...

I am looking to buy my first Porsche. It has to be a 911 for all the normal reasons. I am looking at early 997s as my budget is up to £40k, and the purist in me wants a 2 wheel drive.

I am trying to weigh up the benefits of a std Carrera over the extra cost of an S. Also, should I only look at the whacking pricees of Porsche approved or are Indies okay? Any feedback and advice please?

Also, the benefits of used Porsche ownerships are quite clear but can anyone give me the heads-up on the drawbacks? If I pick up a 2005 30k miles 997 S, then what potential pitfalls can I expect?

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

Chris.

Hi Chris and welcome to 911uk

I think the best advice any of us can give you on the C2 Vs C2S is drive both and make your own mind up. Such is the state of the market at the moment I would think that any OPC (Official Porsche Centre) or independent would trip over themselves to give you test drives. Prices are of course going to be higher at the OPCs, but it does give peace of mind and nowdays a full Porsche warranty that you cannot get on a car purchased from most indies until you have owned the car for 90 days. Having said that, some indies like Stirlings will give their own warranty.

On a purely personal note, I would recommend the S. I have driven both and there is a noticeable difference in performance. If you have not driven 911s before, the standard Carrera will feel very quick, but the S will IMO feel much more responsive and lively.

If you can afford it, try to go for as late a model as possible. I stand to be corrected here, but I believe that some early 997s, i.e. 04 model year, suffered from the same RMS (oil seal) problems as the 996, but other than that, they're pretty solid. Also, make sure you get the desirable options like PCM navigation, Bose, PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust) etc. There are numerous threads on the forum to point you in the right direction for options, so have a hunt around.

I have had my C2S since January (just pre price crash :x ) and I love it. The only thing on my wish list now is a turbo or GT3.

Happy hunting

Clive

Go for a C2S, there are plenty to choose from and will do you well on re-sale.

I posted this on another thread the other day re: a C4S

The 'S' will have PASM / Xenon's and Larger cross drilled brakes with red callipers (non-S callipers are black). 'S' will also have white dials, aluminium door entry displaying Carrera S logo.

It is a 3.8 l compared to base model 3.6, more impressive stats and performance and one hell of a car for the money!!

I'd recommend the S for 2 reasons

The Brakes are so much better, far better feel and stopping power

Litronics are so much better

You may be tempted to think, come re sale time the Carrera will be cheaper and someone will allways want the cheapest way into the 997 over a 996, but even the cheapest carrera will be hard to sell, people really would pay that little bit more an 'S'

and of course i do have a lovely 'S' for sale, hi spec, just serviced and prepared as only I do

http://www.911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=681

and jamie has some cracking finance quotes at the moment

Hi Jamie, Mark and Clive,

Thanks very much for your input.

I had an 2003 M3 until last last year, and go to the Nurburgring usually twice a year. So looking forward to having a 997 as a day car but also enjoying the performance on track. The more I think about it and read your comments, it appears a no-brainer on the S questions....the extra few grand will clearly give me that much more. Now I just need to find a good one...

Thanks again!!! Happy motoring chaps...

Go for the S its just worth it.

I went opc route because i was new to it all and peace of mind but you can see from threads on here for recomended indys

OPC Cambridge had a good spec 2S for about £35,000 last time I checked...

I have just got myself a "S" after having a 996.

Drove both & S was the car for me....plus there are some great deals around so shop wisely and difference is not that much

I paid £32k for mine, nice spec & nice car :D

S all the way ! :D :D

I am biased though !

j8fbr said:
S all the way ! :D :D

I am biased though !

Ditto all the above re 'S' :thumbs:

Mark Pearce (www.stirlings.co.uk) will advise and sort you out with a good 'en. Saw a high spec 'S' on his website today for £40k. It will look mint when you pick it up as he details like few other indies. Mark couldn't offer me enough advice spending hours on the phone when I was looking for my first 911 a few months ago.

Thanks Mark! Loving the experience.

Pete :thumb:

Wattie said:

My first post - I think I just drove home in that one! Picked it up today. After a rash of BMWs and an M3 I have finally seen the light.

Never thought it would have been so soon.

:D :D :D :D :D

eddtheduck said:
Wattie said:

My first post - I think I just drove home in that one! Picked it up today. After a rash of BMWs and an M3 I have finally seen the light.

Never thought it would have been so soon.

:D :D :D :D :D

Hi and welcome!

That looked a nice car from the description and photos... Good spec and sensibly priced - well done!

An intro thread with a photo or two would be great (if you can find the time when you're not sitting in it!) :)

> I paid £32k for mine, nice spec & nice car

That is incredible. That's not much more than I paid for my 996 Targa 12 months ago.

I wonder if OPC will give me a disgustingly good trade in for mine, but personally a 50k 996 Targa tip, I can't see getting more than 20k for a trade-in (ouch!).

Hi all - just a quick note to thank all for their replies to my post. I am delighted to say I have just collected my first Porsche today. It is a 2005 997 Carrera 2S, Atlas Grey, black leather, Sports Chrono, PCM inc Nav, Bose, Sunroof, Multi-function wheel, rear wiper, embossed seats, plus I have had an iPod connection plus bluetooth and parking sensors front and rear fitted.

Loving it already, though it was a little strange to get used to for the first 10 mins with very direct steering etc. (no complaint, just different!).

Gotta go out for another drive now!! :D

Thanks and happy motoring! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back