Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear wiper help from single car owners

bigfish

Silverstone
OK...so I have seen some posts about rear wiper - but this is my only car,and will be sat on my driveway & used daily

Can I ask people who use their 997 daily to see if a rear wiper is needed? Is it a pain without? Do you need to have park sensors if you dont have rear wiper

Sorry for a dull "wiper" thread but I need some help

Bigfish,

A lot say the rear wiper is a no no on the 911 and spoils its line and beauty. I've also read that some people have taken theirs off! My 997 hasn't one and I've found no problem seeing out of the rear. I've also no parking aid which makes me more careful which can't be a bad thing.

I've read on a different thread of a product called RainX which causes water to run off with ease. I haven't tried it and as I said don't think it is necessary unless my family would like to get it for me for Xmas I'll road test it and feed back to the 911uk team?

Pete

It really isn't a problem. I drive mine every day of the year and never have a problem.

However I think rear parking sensors are essentially for a daily driver rain or no rain or else you will never get the thing parked on your daily chores.

Why would you NOT want a rear wiper? :thumb:

Did you buy your Porsche to look at it from the back, or to drive it? :D

Mine's a daily driver and I think it's brilliant having a rear wiper - helps with parking (I never trust parking sensors anyway - they don't always detect narrow posts / overhanging branches / boxes on posts), but also rear vision in slow traffic.

Removal of an existing wiper is a step too far in the vanity stakes AFAIC :wack:

bigfish said:
OK...so I have seen some posts about rear wiper - but this is my only car,and will be sat on my driveway & used daily

Can I ask people who use their 997 daily to see if a rear wiper is needed? Is it a pain without? Do you need to have park sensors if you dont have rear wiper

Sorry for a dull "wiper" thread but I need some help

Nope. Have not missed it at all.

Wattie, a rear wiper spoils the look IMO.

It sounds to me like the poster has seen a car without and in that case, shouldn't put him off buying.

Rain-X does the trick on all my cars, no matter which window. I've ordered mine without the rear wiper also.

Jamie said:
Wattie, a rear wiper spoils the look IMO.

It sounds to me like the poster has seen a car without and in that case, shouldn't put him off buying.

OK.. Wouldn't stop me buying one if everything else is right, but with two identical cars (or buying from new) I would definitely have the wiper...

But then, anyone who has ever seen my car knows how little value I place on how it looks! :oops:

For me, anything that is functional is good, anything that compromises function for cosmetic reasons is very bad!

Thanks all...I have indeed seen a car without wiper

I think I would prefer one "iwth"...but looks like it no big deal either way

Been interested if that RainX

ResB said:
Wattie said:
For me, anything that is functional is good, anything that compromises function for cosmetic reasons is very bad!

For example, a rear wiper. ;)

Well mine works perfectly thanks, and I find it really useful...
:)

Particularly on days like this:

20071217_011613_DSC_0007.jpg

Interested to know why you think it compromises the car in any way EXCEPT cosmetic? :?:

Wattie said:
ResB said:
Wattie said:

For example, a rear wiper. ;)

Well mine works perfectly thanks, and I find it really useful...
:)

Particularly on days like this:

20071217_011613_DSC_0007.jpg

Interested to know why you think it compromises the car in any way EXCEPT cosmetic? :?:

If you omit the "cosmetic issue" and again it's personal preference then of course it doesn't "compromise" anything else as far as I can see but IMO, it's just not required. However, this begs the question (other than requirements required by individual countries) if it's not required, then whats the point of having it? ;)

Insofar as snow is concerned I usually wipe it off before I get in the car. This stops the snow compacting at the bottom of the screen stopping the wiper from returning to it's natural position. If you don't have the wiper, it's even easier to clear. :) You also have the issue of wating until the snow/ice has melted before you can use it and by this time it's clear anyway because most will use the rear de-mister...

Each to their own though. :)

My Gen1 997 didn't have a rear wiper and I had a couple of times that I wanted one.

I've just picked up a Gen2 997 that closely matched my required spec. It has a rear wiper.

Now I do think that the look is slightly spoiled by the wiper, but in the current weather it is a very useful thing!

I won't be removing it...

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers
Mark

I love my rear wiper....and isn't this just a sad litle thread? Those GT3 boys and the like must be laughing at us so much by now.

~ Maxie :oops:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back