Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

side sill attachment

i need to take off the side sills on my 964cab, replace the seals which have shrunk and then re-attach the sills. one sill has a clip which is broken anyway. anyone done this and what are the clips like? you can get the clips for pence from design 911 (6 per side apparently). there are also grommets available, dont know what they are or if i need 6 per side of these either? can anyone help? i guess i will probably break some clips while removing the sills! how do the seals attach, do the slide into a groove on the sill?
plenty for you to go at there guys!

thanks in advance

i'll be honest, i dont know, but while you are there, i wouldnt mind a couple of pictures of what is underneath the sill cover, i need to do some extra cage reinforcement, but only if i can get to it from the outside....

First take off the sharks fin. Two screws underneath and two plastic 10 mm nuts on the inside. This is best done with the wheel off. The plastic nut next to the oil tank is a bit of a swine and requires quarter turns with a spanner, patience and leads to skinned knuckles.

Then with the main sill cover:

1. remove the little plastic cover in the wheel arch (3 screws I think).
2. inside the cover is another plastic nut which you can now remove.
3. Remove the plastic nuts which secure the sill underneath (4 of them I think).
4. Now working from the rear of the sill you can gently lever it away from the body. It's secured by what I call popper clips - they pop out! I think there are five of these.

The new rubbers just press into place in a groove in the sill cover.

You may find some broken clips. There are two types. The poppers will probably be ok. The ones secured by nuts are the ones likely to be broken as people try to pull the sharks fin and sill covers off thinking they just pop out.

Be prepared to find loads of mud and crap in there so wash everything down. Don't be surprised to find some rust too.

HTH

If your seals are old and hard [ they will be] then you may find they have cut through the paintwork; so rust prep is the order of the day...
I would always order clips and grommets, they are peanuts, and will break, you could be a tight wad and glue them back in, but why bother, it's easier and better to do it properly, then next time you won't have to buy new bits in a hurry because it wasn't well planned....

Just my tuppence worth from experience.

Kevin

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back