Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is the Porsche Satnav any good ?

Yea, checked last night and whilst I'm not sure which version of PCM I have, it will not allow postcode input apart from London codes.

I'm not bothered enough to spend money on a new disc and as pointed out by GaryW, it works fine and the graphics on the speedo display are v. useful.

Clive

I have never understood why Porsche don't price the updates more competitively as the cost to them must be very low. How many people pay £450 for minor improvements? If it was £100 all in, I am sure that most people, especially us enthusiasts would always get the latest.

That thread the other day that speedy-un started - yes you!! Should have been about cost of warranty vs PCM upgrade!!! Gotcha :hand:

:fight:

I said DON'T get me started!!!! :D

There will come a time soon when satnav's are made to a generic spec, and car manufacturers create a generic "hole" in the car to accept them that is pre-wired to an antenna/power etc.

...but almost certainly not Porsche!

I'm off to have my car resprayed by Sainbury's - nectar points offer today!;-)

speedy_un said:
I'm off to have my car resprayed by Sainbury's - nectar points offer today!;-)

Reminds me of the old joke about a guy who got an Irishman to paint his porch. 2 hours later the Irishman came to him and said " all finished sorr, but you know it's not a Porsche, it's a Ferrari"

:hijack:

I think that would be a great idea for volume cars like Ford, Renault etc to have a space in the dash where any unit can be inserted and hooked up. Like you say, never in a Porsche.

Didn't someone on here state you can use Vauxhall/GM discs on PCM equipped cars? IIRC, one needed to get a software upgrader initially and then the actual updated discs which cost a fraction of the Porsche units. This covers the CD based units of PCM 2.0 (all 996s and 997s built between 2003-2005. Not sure if PCM 2.1 was DVD based.

~ Maxie :?:

The vauxhall-based update discs are only available for pcm1.

Last time I heard, they hadn't been able to crack pcm2.

Speak to Gerard Mahoney at http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk

Paul, you might have told me but does PCM 3.0 plus the 2008 Mapping DVD give you full postcode search?

Jamie said:
I think that would be a great idea for volume cars like Ford, Renault etc to have a space in the dash where any unit can be inserted and hooked up. Like you say, never in a Porsche.

Hmm - they all used to do that, but it created a roaring trade for vermin to smash the window and abscond to the nearest dodgy boozer... That was what really prompted the widespread adoption of integrated systems in the first place and frankly I think it is a price worth paying.

...or did you mean an additional slot such as you get when you bin the cubby hole and CD rack in a 996?

Also - you can still install aftermarket head units (even in the 997) as I have seen a few threads where this has been done - though I never dug into how complicated a job it was and how much other functionality you might lose in the car.

Jamie said:
If it was £100 all in, I am sure that most people, especially us enthusiasts would always get the latest.
This has been asked of them.. for official club members
no reply as yet, as we expected.. :(

garyw

3.0 gives me 5 digit postcode search - i.e. nowhere near as good as portable satnav!;-)

Maxie Islam said:
Not strictly legal I appreciate but every little helps.

~ Maxie

strictly illegal in fact........but I understand.......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back