Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I am crazy for............

Drive a 997 Phil and then see if you still want a new Boxter :nooo:

IMO the main reason for getting the gen2 997 would be the new suspension setup, which apparently gets rid of the front end bobbing up and down.

Clive

I have driven the Carrera S and i like it alot! But with the tax going up again in March 09 to over £400 for the car and the Gen 2's being alot cheaper! However speaking to some OPD's the past couple of days, they do seem very keen to shift the gen 1's for very good prices!

phil.

I'm a bit :? as to why you'd worry about depreciation and then talk about buying a Boxster. Not the car to buy IMHO.

997 is a brilliant bit of kit but I'd have thought the head would have said go for a used 997C2S if its the engineering you want.

Buying into a new 997, or anything else right now is going to cost big time. Dealers will, I assume, be making their margins on the finance.

My head would say look at 996C4S if you want to make any attempt to hedge depreciation now. For the money, best looking and well built version of the 911 since the 993 IMHO but hey personal choice rules ...

I think the main issue im having are the running costs of the gen 1 over the gen 2, now the engine's have been introduced.

phil

if that's your only worry :mrgreen: then its a new car with dsg or whatever its called by Porsche; spec it to the hilt and then one of us can buy it when the next model comes out :angel:

Listening to all the concerns and discussions, there's only one choice, 996 Turbo.

Limited numbers, rock solid engine, great looking car, lower deprecation and best of all, you're not driving a Boxster!!!!!

Maxie Islam said:
Are OPCs doing fantastic trade-in deals for pre-owned stock too?

~ Maxie :?:

Unfortunately, I don't believe so. Why not try it on though?

I'm extremely tempted with the 996 Turbo, I've got to be honest.

philnotts said:
Thank you for all the replies!!

My head is telling me, just to wait to see if the new boxster s comes with the new engine, meaning lower tax and better MPG and go for this one and then look to buy a 6 months old gen 2 997 in 18 months time!

My heart is thinking go for the 997 gen 1 and just put up with the road tax risers each year!

:?:

From a tax perspective, you're talking just over £140 / year, which is about 2 petrol fill ups, so that really shouldn't be a concern. There's also a huge debate as to whether it will be introduced and if so, what it will be.

I'd be amazed if the 'S' comes under the existing bracket.

You'll also lose a fortune in deprecation, but I think you already know that.

997 C2S ! :D :D :D gen 1 :D :D

you will not be dissapointed !

Surely the boxster S isnt viewed as a poor car, as some on here call it!

I think the best thing to do is wait til the new info on the gen 2 boxster is introduced in the next couple of weeks, and see how much the cost has gone up and compare agaisnt the 997 gen 1!

phil

philnotts said:
Surely the boxster S isnt viewed as a poor car, as some on here call it! /quote]

not sure anyone is saying that but its a different type of car and seems to shed value quite quickly .....

Tiptop Topcat said:
philnotts said:
Surely the boxster S isnt viewed as a poor car, as some on here call it! /quote]

not sure anyone is saying that but its a different type of car and seems to shed value quite quickly .....

I think it was aimed at me!

Seriously though, Tiptop, the point you make is bang on the money. Any new car will take a hit on depreciation and if the concern is tax/petrol/money, then look at an older car. If it's worries over the enginey, then look at a 993, Turbo or GT2/3.

Honestly, are you being sidetracked by the Boxster as its soft top and the 997 Cab is just one step too far? I can understand this but not your road tax/running cost argument. Both great cars but a 911 is always going to be greater . Newer and more mass market cars always lose more money. All depends what your main motivators are but IMHO your heart is talking more sense than your head! :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back