Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Trackday Advice Guide & Preparation for Beginners Novice

I have just been reading that thread!

I would love to but TBH would feel a little intimidated if there are cup cars there and faster drivers. I have only done 50 odd laps (about 1 hour 10 mins worth or something) and think it would be unfair on others to hold them up as it is a short circuit. I think I would also get carried away and try to drive beyond my capabilities!

A couple more novice afternoons and a course and I reckon I will be up for it! I can see it getting very expensive!

Is there an Insurance company you recommend? I had to pay out £126 for the hour or so on track! I understand some companies include X amount of track days in their policies? My excess was £3500 as well!

:welcome: David Pearce

sorry for late reply but I have been away for a while.

I am glad you enjoyed BH it was my first one in August and I have just done an Open pit lane at Silverstone on 24th Sept !

Lots of incidents but a great day in all.

I was bricking it at BH but like you after the instruction I was more confident.

At Silverstone, I was with a load of more experienced drivers/cars but still enjoyed the day and manage to overtake quite a few car :D :D

I can't believe I bought the car in April and I have already done 2 trackdays at Brands Hatch and Silverstone ! :D

I prob won't be doing any more this year but give us a shout if you are as I could be tempted.

chao for now

Track Day Virgin - Top Tips please

After a year in the 993 on the roads I have decided that this year will be my first venture on to a track.

To get a bit of confidence up I am booked in for a day of training with Carolyn at driverdp.com after reading some good feedback on this site but I would appreciate some specific advice.

As a complete track novice I don't want to be harried by hundreds of other track day users and I do have a certain anxiety about looking like a total tit.

So: Any advice on well run, reasonably quiet days that would fit the bill. Circuits close to Yorkshire might help - and any other Newbies out there that fancy sharing the fun +/- pain on a day - please get in touch.

If i was you i would find out about doing a few 'open pit' track days.
When i owned my S2 Lotus Elise and was new to track days i found that open pit track days were great as you have the flexibility to go at your own pace and you and can pull into the pits anytime and have a break.

Getting some driver training before heading out is a very good start. You'll be amazed what the car can actually do.

Don't be forced by the other drivers to drive faster than you feel comfortable. You are still learning about your car and maybe the track layout.

However, keep an eye on your mirrors. If there's someone coming up behind you, signal right and pull over to let them past. Bear in mind there may be more than one car trying to get past. You may also get a blue flag waved at you to let you know there are faster cars coming up behind.

Limit your laps to around 5-6 per outing. My road tyres go off after that and start sliding more. Don't forget a cooling lap before coming in and leave the handbrake off once you're in, with the car in gear.

Brake in a straight line before you get to the corner. But if you're familiar with racing techniques, then trailbraking is the better way round. Don't brake or lift off the throttle suddenly mid corner!

If you do spin, (it's quite entertaining watching the world go by through the side windows!), then put both feet in. i.e. clutch in and hard on the brake pedal. Do not release the brakes until you stop spinning. The adrenalin will be running so make sure the track is clear before pulling back on track, and coming into the pits to check there's no harm done.

Above all, enjoy yourself. :thumb:

I was a little apprehensive before my first track day last year at Castle Combe (Bristol)

I went along on a Porsche day and it ran it very well indeed

I can't express how much I enjoyed it and have booked another 3 track days for this year already

I'm taking my dad along next time and he is also a little apprehensive. As I said to him you just indicate left and pull over, letting the faster cars through...

Enjoy the training! Have a blinder :thumb:

Thanks for these comments

I have just come back from a days driver training with Carolyn at Driverdp and can't believe how much I picked up in one day. An excellent eye opener to my error strewn driving habits and some excellent pointers to improve. I was certainly a different and probably better driver at the end of the day. I certainly now know what to focus on and some of the fear of going to a track has been removed. Taking on the low friction skid surfaces is somewhat of an eye opener in my pre-traction control 993 and makes me look forward to next winter. The lessons learnt will certainly be transferrable to road driving on favourite B roads as well as giving me pointers to track driving.

If anyone is a bit unsure of where to start their driver development I would certainly recommend a day with Carolyn's team - just make sure Top Gear are not filming at the same time!

just take it easy and try and follow some one who has an ok pace to find the best lines

Trackday Novice - Recommendations?

Looking to gain some trackday experience this year, and welcome some advice.

Had some PAX laps at Oulton which I loved, but being a complete track beginner, I have to say that much as I loved being a passenger, I would have found it a bit intimidating if it was my first track driving experience.

Any advice as to which circuits/trackdays would be a good choice?

I also welcome any feedback on instructors.

Thanks

Mark

Trackday Novice - Recommendations?

First thing pick a track with large run offs. Silverstone, Donnington and Bedford would all be good first timer circuits.

There's a bunch of 911uk's going to Silverstone in June. Check out the bucket list thread. This would be a good one to attend. As we are a friendly bunch, who would be more that happy to share experiences and advice where nessessary.

Jon C

The 'Ring :grin:

only joking, I would have to say Bedford or Silverstone.

Give me a shout when your looking to do a trackday, and I'll be happy to book and come along too. (I am no driving God, just to give you support and advise)

Dan :thumb:

Thank you for the practical guidance and support - I really appreciate that :thumbs:

I like the idea of going to Silverstone.

This opens up a couple of other queries that are a little off-topic:

1) I'm insured with Carole Nash - I don't think this covers me on the track - any advice on sorting out Insurance without changing my main insurer?

2) About to have my suspension sorted later this month - I'm going for refurbed bilsteins, but a decision needs to be made on bushes - OE Porsche, Powerflex or Monoballs - any advice on this?

Mark

Do a novice's half day at Bedford. Myself and a few others on BoXa.net have booked in to the Club MSV afternoon session on Friday 22nd April and you'd be most welcome to join us.

1. You'll have to ring your insurers and ask for a cover note for a track day. If they say "sorry, we don't insure tractors" you'll know you need to find another company. You don't have to be insured - I didn't bother on my first day at Bedford last year - but its not just you looking after your car - there are a few others on track at the same time and sadly not everyone is decent enough to follow all the rules all of the time.

2. It would be worth telling Chris that you're going to start doing track days (no point saying you'll just be doing one because as others on here will testify, it won't be just the one!).

Going on my first trackday at Bedford on the 28th of March. Any advice or support would be appreciated. Should I book tuition :?:
Just worried something might break ... or worse ...

Bedford for first time, forget Insurance, you'd run out of fuel before hitting anything, training in morning, don't get over confident in afternoon.

Powerflex and Chris's fast road / track geo

Don't forget drive licence both parts and ask for helmet rental if you don't have one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back