Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 vs 996

Motoberg

Greetings 997 peeps,
I've been skulking round the 996 forum hoovering up tricks, tips and pointers in a feeble attempt to educate myself for my first ever venture into Porsche ownership, I even splashed out on a really thick book :lol: ( and the buyers guide from here )

Given my budget (circa £35k), and freefall prices at the mo, its now looking like a used 997 may even be within my grasp, so, a couple of questions or 3
1. Is there a definitive 996 vs 997 comparison thread someone could point me at
2. With no part ex, how brazen should my offer be in the current climate at an OPC or independent? -2k ? -10k :D
3. Would you buy a high spec lower mileage (but older ) C4S 996 or a lower spec higher mileage (but newer) 997 ? 8)

Cheers

Have you driven both? You should do so before you start looking into the intricacies of the 996 v's 997 route. :)

Welcome to the forum. Your question is bound to ignite lots of debate. I can't recall there being a 996 vs 997 thread but some of the older forum members might be able to answer that. Your question in itself could be accused of being a little ambiguous as cars such as a 996 C4S, GT3 and Turbo models are most probably superior dynamically to a 997 C2 whilst all of these cars hover around the same £35-£40k price category in todays used car market. Out of those I would probably have a Turbo or a C4S (I'm not really an extreme sports/track car person so can live without a GT3). However, having said that, the 997 is a better car model for model all round than the respective 996 range.

As for offers - you can go in there at -£2k under. If it's a £35k car I would offer £30k and the seller might just come down £2k anyway.

Good luck with the purchase; don't forget an independant pre-purchase inspection if you're parting with that kind of money.

~ Maxie

Thanks guys,
I haven't driven both as yet ( just 996's) as I wasnt even looking at 997s until one or two came up in my price range in my Autotrader search. I'd previously set my sights on a C4S manual

Has the RMS issue been sorted on the 997 or does it have it's own demons?

To date I've only heard of a single 997 with RMS issues. The problem has been cleared up somewhat but not completely as the design of the gearbox/engine has been largely carried over from 996 to 997 with some modifications. The 996 Turbo and GT3 do not have RMS issues.

C4S manual is a great start to 911 ownership if you're not looking to start in the highly regarded 993 series (thought to be a better driving experience than the 996).

~ Maxie

Maxie Islam said:
To date I've only heard of a single 997 with RMS issues. The problem has been cleared up somewhat but not completely as the design of the gearbox/engine has been largely carried over from 996 to 997 with some modifications. The 996 Turbo and GT3 do not have RMS issues.

~ Maxie

If mine wasn't the one your talking about I have had the RMS issue also. :)

Haha - that makes 2 then!

~ Maxie :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back