Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

speedo removal

johnnycool

Monza
hi , need to remove the speedo from my 1987 930 turbo , anybosy got and tips on this or the best way to remove it ? I need to mark it up in kph for the mot on saturday !

thanks for any fast responses !

just got the car on saturday ! its sweet ! :thumb:

does this thing just pull out ? or anre there any screws behind ?

:eek:

They just pull out. They are held in place by a tight fit into a rubber surround gasket. The wiring loom beghind the speedo is quite short so dont pull it too far too quickly.

As above, they just pull out. It is held in place by a rubber ring, in common with the rest of the instruments.

BTW, there is no need to mark up the speedo with anything. The MOT doesn't require MPH markings - it just needs a working method to display the speed. My car has a KPH speedo and has happily passed the MOT for the previous 4 years without a comment.

Regards

Dave

While you've got the speedo out, why not take them all out and upgrade the lights to LED.

I did this for two reasons:

(i) the lighting circuit on the older 911's was not fused and was the cause of many a dashboard fire. The LED's take a fraction of the current; and
(ii) the poor reflectors in the gauges are helped by a brighter whiter light.

Just a thought.....

funny you should mention fires as i have already had one while working with the speedo out I disturbed some wires running to the clock and glovebox light , they shorted and went on fire when i turned on the lights!

looks like it had happened before too ! , can't believe no fuse protected this ????

johnnycool said:
funny you should mention fires as i have already had one while working with the speedo out I disturbed some wires running to the clock and glovebox light , they shorted and went on fire when i turned on the lights!

looks like it had happened before too ! , can't believe no fuse protected this ????

No there isnt a fuse. You can add one. I have, but then when I upgraded to the LED's the load became almost zero, so the fuse will only work when there's a short rather than too much load so to speak.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back