Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fifth Gear Video : 997 Turbo v Nissan GT-R

2 great cars - in their own way. But who on earth is the complete ***** in the yellow hoodie? At his age, it's like watching your father dance at a wedding...wrong :hand:

Quicker AND £46k cheaper......few people can ignore this wad of cash saving in todays ecomonic climate.

In the bone dry the performance lap time gap would probably be even wider.

I think Porsche will have a real problem selling against this Nissan.

Its a Nissan!!! The people that bought us the micra and the sunny ls!!!!!!!
It may well be super fast and much cheaper but it will always be a nissan.

It may always be a Nissan but you won't have to chuck away £40k in depreciation over 3 years and will get at least 99% of what a 911T can do! The snob value is a factor of course.

BTW - have you seen the prices of good Datsun/Nissan 240Z's (especially the Samuria)....they put many classic Porsches to shame.

Nissan make good cars and every now and then they made a really cracking car and the GT-R is one of them.

Impressive stuff - mighty 997 TT humbled!
Senna junior was so smooth behind the wheel!

Too true Asim the 997 was humbled by a Datsun 120Y :) Friend of mine has the R34 and the R35 on order can't wait for a test drive.

Still recall when he took me for a blast in the R34 T-Spec.

I think it is age related

If I was in my 20's I would go for the GTR over the 911 anyday

If I was in 30's it would be a close call either way.

In my 40's 911 all the way. I would look a plum in a GTR.

If I was in my 50's it would be neither. DB9 or R8 would be the options

With Dave 100% :thumb:

Just arrived in the 40's......had a look at AM DB9 and test drove the R8. In the end just couldn't see myself in either and went for the 997.

Now may be tempted to get a GTR as a track weapon but will wait and see how their values hold up.

Good point dave, im the wrong side of 30 (half a year left) and i would look like a total plum driving the gtr. Sure its performance is impressive, but i think its a toy for the 20 somethings. Maybe i need a mid life crisis and re-live my 20's????

Surely all that electronic gubbins thats makes it capable of what it can do is a little bit of a cheat, that also detracts from the inter driver machine relationship?

Of course the Turbo has trickery of its own up its sleave, but I was always under the impression the GT-R's and the Evo's of this world had a computer controlling so many systems it wasnt just you driving the car?!?

:lol:

p.s. havn't watched the vid yet to be fair....

Dave said:
I think it is age related
If I was in my 50's it would be neither. DB9 or R8 would be the options
Watch it, don't let's have any ageism here chaps :hand:

Just 'cos some of us are knocking on a bit it doesn't mean we have to go for the softer options :eek:ld:

But that said, I still wouldn't buy a GTR

Clive

Senna jnr was v impressed with the Nissan and it looks like a very involving and more stable(at high speed) drivers car.

997T's are also loaded with electronics so I don't get the point that's being made by some on this thread?

That's three good test drives/drivers (who have no axe to grind) that rate the Nissan as being up there with the 997T....so surely it's got to be a worthy contender?

It's been my belief for a while that Porsche are making a packet from every 911 sold and if cars like that GT-R force Porsche to be more £competitive then we should all be happy!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back