Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK 997 Carrera S 8 secs quicker around Nurburgring....

Porsche

Donnington
STUTTGART, Germany "” Porsche has kept a low profile profile at the Nurburgring of late, only now posting new 2009 911 lap times at a media event in Germany.

According to a Porsche display, the German automaker timed three different 911s for comparison.

The fastest was a 2009 911 Carrera S outfitted with Porsche's new twin-clutch automated manual Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission, PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) Sport, and "sports tires," turning a 7:50 lap time.

Next was a 2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S (presumably with manual transmission) turning a 7:58. Four seconds slower was a current 911 Carrera S (presumably equipped comparably to the 2009 manual car), turning an 8:02.

Porsche says the PDK shifts 60 percent faster than the former Tiptronic S automatic, and offers a small improvement in fuel economy over the six-speed manual-equipped 911.

Source.Edmunds

Attachments

• 911_07_197.jpg
    911_07_197.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 6,321
Was the previous models time of 7:59 without "Sports Tyres"? If it was they say Cups will give you 10 seconds around the Ring. It would be good to know if the old C2S had Cups on or not. :?:

ResB said:
Was the previous models time of 7:59 without "Sports Tyres"? If it was they say Cups will give you 10 seconds around the Ring. It would be good to know if the old C2S had Cups on or not. :?:

The info listed indicates times are based on OEM Spec i.e. with regular OEM N rated road tyres.

I'm still not getting a PDK car. Just because its faster, doesn't make it better. Whats the point in driving a car where it does all the shifting for you. Too boring for me.... there's a level of involvement below which I don't want to go.

Minok said:
Just because its faster, doesn't make it better. Whats the point in driving a car where it does all the shifting for you. Too boring for me.... there's a level of involvement below which I don't want to go.

Couldn't agree with you more! I never undestood the 0-60 fixation - how often do you floor it in a built up area from standstill (unless you a boy racer and a stupid one at that) - to me it's all about the involvement so I''ll be sticking to manual and keep that PMS turned off. :drive:

PS. If you are a boy racer, I apolgise!

PSS. PDK could be just the thing for those trackdays so you can spank the opposition

Minok said:
I'm still not getting a PDK car. Just because its faster, doesn't make it better. Whats the point in driving a car where it does all the shifting for you. Too boring for me.... there's a level of involvement below which I don't want to go.

Ermmm.... Have you ever driven a PDK or DSG equipped car? The benefit is that it gives you a choice - shift yourself using the paddles, and have total control, or stick it in 'D' when you want to chill, or are sat in traffic.

The conventional clutch is really primitive technology... Imagine limiting the power that you can transmit to the wheels by the strength of a few little springs and a small disc of friction material :?:

Oh, wait... that's exactly what a conventional manual box does... :floor:

Sure, its old technology, but so is the rubber tire and the wheel. If it has reached a peak of technical development, that doesn't make it irrelevant. After all, we don't have to double-clutch, which is nice.

I'm not a fan of autoshifters. Whether it is a computer doing all of the work for me, or me pressing + and - buttons or moving a lever to effectively press + and - buttons. Moving that manual lever sideways to dial in the right gear, its more involvement.

Yes, there is a benefit to having an auto system when stuck in stop an go traffic, which is common on the two bridges crossing Lake Washington up here in Seattle, but I try and avoid those situations. Having only been stuck in them 3 times in 4 years of living here, its not worth the increased mechanical complexity of the PDK gearbox and significant jump in price. I'll spend those extra four thousand on something that will give me much more pleasure over the next decade than an autogearbox, such as a nice new set of speakers for the home theater.

I'm not knocking those that like the autoboxes; they are just not for me.

Wattie said:
The conventional clutch is really primitive technology... Imagine limiting the power that you can transmit to the wheels by the strength of a few little springs and a small disc of friction material :?:

Oh, wait... that's exactly what a conventional manual box does... :floor:
And remind me again what DSG/PDK, etc use? Oh yes, that's right - a multi-plate clutch!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back