Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First Impressions

siy

Monza
So...it arrived today. 55 reg 997 C4S cab, black with black. Sport design wheels, sports exhaust, sports short shift, sports chrono plus, nav, seat and wheel crests, adaptive sports seats.... basically quite a few options.

I have basically been a BMW driver till now... amongst others owning an E39 M5, M3 and most recently an M6. The power in the M6 was amazing.

911 arrived , and had my first drive - the roof stayed on for about 4 mins, then it came down!

AWESOME CAR! Simple... it's a lot more raw than the M6 , and not as powerful... but feels a lot different - I am not putting the M6 down , that was a great car, but the 911 experience is fantastic. It's all about the driving and the feel / feedback

Now - a question. the sports exhaust sounds great - and I remember when I searched before buying, that there were comments and a (possible) fix. The exhaust seems to calm down dramatically between 30-46mph - I think there is some way to un-solder something on the exhaust...could someone fill me in? ... and are there any side-effects if I do?

Last minor bug - the seatbelt warning sound... can that be de-activated anyway?

Great to be here.... Gonna have a proer play this weekend

sheers all,

Simon

To enable the exhaust at all times; open the engine compartment and in the right rear corner you'll see an electrical plug sticking up (think it's brown in colour) - unplug this and tuck it away to the right so that it doesn't get dirty or caught up in anything else. Now the exhaust will make a great sound all the time!

As for the seat belt - wear it!

Simon.

Seriously... about the seat belt: With air-bags you MUST wear your seat-belt at all times that the ignition is switched on :blue-no:

I am not a policeman or anything, this is a bit of advice for your own good: If you are not wearing your seat-belt and you have what may be a relatively minor bump, the air-bag itself will probably kill you!

Air-bags are detonated with explosives, and are only ever fitted in conjunction with pyrotechnic seat-belt pretensioners - which trigger first to pull you back in the seat - away from the steering wheel cover and the explosive force of the detonation itself.

Sorry about the lecture, but it is more dangerous to have an air-bag and no seat-belt than to have neither!

What many of us trackdayers do is insert the passenger seat into the drivers. This allows us to use our 6-point harnesses and not having the 1 minute seat belt warning chimes and light on the dash.

siy said:
Last minor bug - the seatbelt warning sound... can that be de-activated anyway?

Yes, Plug the friggin thing in around your body. Geez, what is it with people who think there isn't a need to wear one? It's there to save your life - do you not value it?

I honestly am giving up with this world.......

:nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

Wo-Wo-Wo There....!!!!

I am not completely stoopid! Of course I wear my belt every trip - The reason for the question, is where I live, I need to manoeuvre the car around quite a bit. My normal practice is to take my belt off when doing so - that's all... the chime is just a bit anoying.

Appreciate your concern for my safety - but really, I am not that daft!

Will go unplug the exhaust thing now...are tehre any side-effects of doing this (I mean it doesn't harm the car or anything?) What is the reason that the exhaust does this?

thanks again
simon

siy said:
Wo-Wo-Wo There....!!!!

Will go unplug the exhaust thing now...are tehre any side-effects of doing this (I mean it doesn't harm the car or anything?) What is the reason that the exhaust does this?

thanks again
simon

Hi, no harm will be caused by disconnection, its simply a feature of PSE to comply with Noise regulations, IIRC it closes the baffle bypass at 25mph and reopens it at 45mph when connected.

- Simon

Thanks for that - I will give it a go now. Need to make sure I have the correct plug - there is a wire that is easily reachable to the righthand side of the engine bay, with a square'ish brown connector on the end/ It has a shaped piece of metal/wire that seems to hold it in place - is this the correct one to disconnect?

Thanks

siy said:
Thanks for that - I will give it a go now. Need to make sure I have the correct plug - there is a wire that is easily reachable to the righthand side of the engine bay, with a square'ish brown connector on the end/ It has a shaped piece of metal/wire that seems to hold it in place - is this the correct one to disconnect?

Thanks

Sounds about right :)

Anyone who sees the light and leaves the BMW Marque has my vote of welcome :lol: .
Big Bob :bye:

siy said:
there is a wire that is easily reachable to the righthand side of the engine bay, with a square'ish brown connector on the end/ It has a shaped piece of metal/wire that seems to hold it in place - is this the correct one to disconnect?
That's the one!

Thanks all - Wow - that makes a difference!

However, it isn't exactly what I was hoping to achieve - I basically would still like the option of using the sport button to silence/make noisy if I wnat to - but just want to stop it being quiet when in 'noisy mode' between 25-45mph.

Is this do'able, or am I hoping for too much?

The sports exhaust isn't further switchable in that sense. My OPC did the change for me from new so I have only ever known my car in noisy mode and it always pleases, never disapoints.

Picking up on someone elses comment about keeping the connecter clean, I think the OPC put some electrical tape on mine to keep it clean.

Enoy :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

siy said:
Thanks all - Wow - that makes a difference!

However, it isn't exactly what I was hoping to achieve - I basically would still like the option of using the sport button to silence/make noisy if I wnat to - but just want to stop it being quiet when in 'noisy mode' between 25-45mph.

Is this do'able, or am I hoping for too much?

From what I've heard the old 996 way of snipping the pink/grey (speedo) wire going into the PSE relay doesn't work anymore. Apparently the 997 uses the ECU to activate this now :(

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back