Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 facelift specs!

So when can the US Targa 4 be ordered at a dealer?

Now that I've got the features I wanted, I'm ready to plunk down for my first Porsche. The mystery and strangeness of the US dealer system and allotments provide enough obfuscation that I cannot really tell at what point I can go to my dealer and say "here's what I want, get it built" without them looking at me as if I was trying to oder a load of 'unobtanium'.

I sat with my dealer in the Seattle area this past weekend, and was surprised to hear such odd statements as "we only have on Targa 4S on order for October, and as far as we know, Porsche isn't releasing a Targa 4 this year". Sometimes I think life would be so much nicer without having to go through sales people.. I swear.

So anyone familiar with buying in the US, can you tell me when one can typically place an order for the Targa 4?

Right now, the dealer only has the paper PDF printouts of the specs w/ costs - the salesman cannot even work in the computer to configure the cars they can work with (Carerra and Cabriolet at this point).

Calling up Porsche USA is no help, of course, since they cannot say anything that hasn't been in an official press release apparently.

I do find it curious the dealer can say they have a Targa 4S on order for November, but pretend to have know knowledge of a Targa 4 model for the 09 model year.

So for now, I'm still dreaming of a Bluetooth enabled Targa with a 3.6l engine. Paying about $10k more for features I don't really want or need isn't something I'm willing to do.. not to mention the increased fuel consumption.

Re: So when can the US Targa 4 be ordered at a dealer?

Minok said:
Now that I've got the features I wanted, I'm ready to plunk down for my first Porsche. The mystery and strangeness of the US dealer system and allotments provide enough obfuscation that I cannot really tell at what point I can go to my dealer and say "here's what I want, get it built" without them looking at me as if I was trying to oder a load of 'unobtanium'.

I sat with my dealer in the Seattle area this past weekend, and was surprised to hear such odd statements as "we only have on Targa 4S on order for October, and as far as we know, Porsche isn't releasing a Targa 4 this year". Sometimes I think life would be so much nicer without having to go through sales people.. I swear.

So anyone familiar with buying in the US, can you tell me when one can typically place an order for the Targa 4?

Right now, the dealer only has the paper PDF printouts of the specs w/ costs - the salesman cannot even work in the computer to configure the cars they can work with (Carerra and Cabriolet at this point).

Calling up Porsche USA is no help, of course, since they cannot say anything that hasn't been in an official press release apparently.

I do find it curious the dealer can say they have a Targa 4S on order for November, but pretend to have know knowledge of a Targa 4 model for the 09 model year.

So for now, I'm still dreaming of a Bluetooth enabled Targa with a 3.6l engine. Paying about $10k more for features I don't really want or need isn't something I'm willing to do.. not to mention the increased fuel consumption.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=36619

from the above link one would expect an announcement for later, much later in the year

as even then the 997 replaced the 996 back in 04 the Targa was still available till 05

make sure you do get the new facelift spec

Re: So when can the US Targa 4 be ordered at a dealer?

911UK said:
Minok said:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=36619

from the above link one would expect an announcement for later, much later in the year

as even then the 997 replaced the 996 back in 04 the Targa was still available till 05

make sure you do get the new facelift spec

Thanks. That is what I am thinking as well. I'll just have to wait a bit longer. The upside is, the Carerra's and Cabriolets will be in stock by then in all likelihood and I'll thus be able to actually SEE some of the new features in person to fine tune my order.

Its true, the waiting is the hardest part.

Absolutely get the facelifted spec. One very w ise suggestion I was given when I oedered mine back at the end of Feb was to make sure that 'facelifted spec' was written on the order form. I know of someone here in Sweden who had to re-order a slot which took a further 6 months.
The Targa and the Turbo are always a fair bit of time behind the Carreras. good luck and don't forget to share pictures when you get it.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back