Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 tow car?

I ve seen a car at Exeter OPC with a tow bar and a few months later on the M5 there it was with a cararvan on the back

I don't care that it can be done. It just shouldn't be done, it's wrong.

Whatever next, Porsche GB membership discount with the caravan club :eek:ld:

Buy a 911 to have a great time in the best car on the road.

Then, for less than the cost of a 911 towbar buy this from Autotrader :

1993 K Reg ISUZU Trooper 3.1 Turbo
Price: £995

Features: Manual Chilli Red over metallic Seal grey Diesel Estate 3059 cc K reg (1993) Full Description: Glossary of Terms

5 Doors, Manual, Station Wagon, Diesel, Chilli Red over metallic Seal grey. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Child locks, Cloth upholstery, Climate Control, Colour coding - Body, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Front armrest, Folding rear seats, Limited slip differential, Metallic paintwork, Power assisted steering, Tinted glass. Insurance Group:13, Exellent multi purpose truck.Strong 3.1 Turbo Diesel Engine.Good bodywork,interior in superb condition.Fitted side steps,alloy wheels.Lots of bill and receipts.Mot March 2009.Warranty included.For Out of Hours Please Contact 0785 33 00 202.p/x @screen price. £995

Save yourself lots of of mockery plus the knowledge that you are committing sacrilege. Also remember the first time you burn the clutch trying to drag a glider up a ramp or over a bumpy field, that will cost you the same amount again.

I think that is another reason why you do not often see towbars on 911.

LJ

Well, as an engineer, I'm disappointed in the responses to thread.
Firstly, you cannot judge whether or not it is suitable. I go to the south coast every year with family. Once I'm there, we tend to go out an about on some lovely roads, and I constantly feel sad that I'm in the truck because of the luggage and dog. If I could put the dog on the back seat, and tow a lightweight trailer with a couple of cases in down, so then i have the 911 to hoon around in whilst there, then that sounds brilliant. If you've got some hang-up about a tow bar on a Porsche, then that's your issue, have fun turning up in a shitbox because you thought a tow bar was embarrassing!?

From a engineering approach, I'd imagine the engines mounting points are fairly strong, having to hold a torquing engine in place etc, so surely there's a strong point there? I haven't looked yet, but I'd love to do this. There's also some suspensio strong points nearby surely, it's just a case of finding them and designing in some bracketry.

I don't know what the law has to say about DIY tow bars, but I'd certainly consider it.

The impact bar behind the rear bumper would be a good place to look first. Only thing is if you drive past a vosa check you could be in trouble as I am fairly sure cars that are towing have to have a stamped plated towing weight. No way would a 996 be tried and tested. Plod may not pick it up but I'm fairly sure vosa will. And if ever you were involved in an accident fingers would be on you. Please research this as I the legality is more of an issue here than physically doing it.

I agree having a decent car on your hols would be ideal... if this fails look in to hiring a trailer and tow the 996 with your boring box vehicle.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back