Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 tow car?

p2racing

Hello,Want to buy a 996,probably about 2000 car but Ideally would like to be able to tow a glider trailer with it.Been told you can't fit a tow bar,anyone know different?

Highly doubt one can fit a tow bar to a 996 as I can't see the design of the chassis of this car allowing for such a feature to be fitted. There is nowhere a tow bar could be attached to - have a look under any 996 and see for yourself.

~ Maxie

How about using the Total 911 Inflateable Roof Rack :food: , and leaving the wings on the glider :thumb: , then providing you keep moving at a reasonable speed the lift on the glider will stop the weight damaging the roof of the Porsche :thumbs: .
There is always a solution to any problem you just need lateral thinking :floor:
On a serious note I think you would be better looking for a cheapo Cayenne, as the added weight in the tow car will help with the trailering etc.
Regards Big Bob :bye:

:hand: having even more weight out over the back axle doesn't sound like a very good idea to me

p2racing said:
Hello,Want to buy a 996,probably about 2000 car but Ideally would like to be able to tow a glider trailer with it.Been told you can't fit a tow bar,anyone know different?

err... NO! :D

I think you got away lightly with the people who first saw your post... :wink:

Unless you are considering bolting the towbar onto the engine itself, there really is no way you could do this without ripping the back end off first time you accelerated away up a hill.

You do know the engine is the rearmost thing of any substance in a 911 I presume? :?:

apw2007 said:
:hand: having even more weight out over the back axle doesn't sound like a very good idea to me
Andrew with the Glider on the Roof Rack it wont put more weight on the back axle, in fact at the right speed it will take the weight off the axle.It may not be a good idea however on narrow streets :hand:
Big Bob :lol:

Wish I had a tastier hat.. :yuk:

I bet it was a Dutchman that invented that :floor:

and heres another!

Attachments

• porsche_caravan_225.jpg
    porsche_caravan_225.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 17,332
apw2007 said:
and heres another!

cough... it was rear-engined 911s that we were thinking it would be tricky for :wink:

Cayman and Boxster both have a rear chassis that would be strong enough for a tow-bar... Mind you, you still have to ask :wtf: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Caravan towing with a 911 whatever next??? I never in all my life thought I would see that.

Gosh, I'll eat my hat too...... :oops: Mind you, the 996 tow bar conversion can't have been a cheap job to do but in the case of that yank's, it's been executed perfectly.

~ Maxie

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back