Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exclusive: Porsche 1st Diesel Car by 2010, Update now 2009 ?

Porsche News

911uk Exclusive. Porsche is less than two years away from launching its first ever diesel model with news today the company plans to release a diesel powered Cayenne SUV next year. Porsche will likely go with a V6 diesel borrowed from Audi, which insiders claim will develop more than 300hp. Porsche had the option of selecting V8, V10 and even V12 diesel powerplants (as seen in the Audi R8 TDI concept) but ruled these out because they were deemed too heavy.

The insider revealed that 'the diesel engine will be an upgraded V6 diesel from Audi." Porsche wasn't willing to confirm the comments but previously its CEO Wendelin Wiedeking said diesel powertrains were of interest to the carmaker.

Part of the reason for the inclusion of diesel powertrains is stricter emissions laws coming in to Europe, which mandates carmakers reduce their fleet average carbon emissions. According to Schmidt, Audi is developing a new twin-turbocharged 3.2L V6 diesel with more than 300bhp and consumption figures of better than 30mpg.

To reduce its carbon footprint and improve the fuel-economy of its some of its vehicles, Porsche is also developing new hybrid technology with sister brand Volkswagen that'll be available as an option on its next-gen Cayenne SUV and Panamera four-door coupe.

Audi has recently unveiled its diesel powered TT Coupe and cross-country rival Mercedes has also flirted with the possibility of a diesel performance car, even going so far as to build a short-lived C30 CDI AMG.

Attachments

• cayenne_d_152.jpg
    cayenne_d_152.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 4,033
This has to be a spoof?

If not, it's a very sad day for Porsche as far as I am concerned... I hate diesels with a passion and that might just be my cue to jump ship if it happens.

Why the hell would they do that when they are in the midst of developing hybrids, and after the famous vow by Weideking "never to build a car where the fun stops at 4,500 rpm!"

Diesel technology has a very finite life, whereas hydrogen fuel cells (based on a hybrid system), HCCI / Dies-Otto engines are much more sustainable technologies...

:bye:

Audi TT TDi on way...... How long to the Cayman follows !?

sorry guys but I must be the only one who welcomes Porsche finally embracing diesel technology,well as long as they keep it to the Cayenne obviously :wink:

I don't think this is a bad thing at all. Modern diesel engines can be excellent - I have test driven two disesl over the last couple of weeks, a BMW 123d and a 120d. They were both impressive motors. I think Porsche should be pioneering the move to lighter cars, though. Who would not queue up to by a 1000kg 911 with, say, 250-300bhp?

tim

Yeh i echo what Rodders thinks. I don't see a problem with it as lond as it is only confined to the Cayenne.

It won't be suitable for the 911 or like due to the low-rev capability, and i think/hope Porsche knows this. Even the Audi R10 diesel LM car only revs to 5500rpm (i think), coupled with the extra weight of derv engines, I can't see any application of diesel being used in the sports car range of Porsche.

Low rev, hight torque suits the Cayenne perfectly however, so as long as there is no clatter for the ears, i don't mind it.

Taran :tea:

Update from worldcarfans.com

Despite Porsche managers claiming there will be no diesel Porsches, a big SUV without a diesel engine option is almost inappropriate nowadays. With increasing pressure from environmentalist, Porsche has put forth the Cayenne Hybrid. Additionally, with Porsche's own goal of reducing CO2 emissions by more than 20 percent by the year 2012, a diesel version is inevitable. Here are first shots of what appears to be a diesel Cayenne cold whether testing.

From the spy photographer, 'I was just passing a petrol station in northern Sweden when I noticed four Porsche Cayennes standing there at a petrol station. There is nothing strange about this situation, but this time it was something that caught my eye. One of the Cayennes was driving off the diesel pump.

As all the cars left the petrol station I followed them for a while, and they stopped outside a restaurant. I noticed that one of the Cayenne's exhaust pipes were quite different. Not the usual big twin pipes, but instead a single smaller pipe on each side, and that was the Cayenne driving off the diesel pump. With no signs inside the car I decided to wait for them to finish their dinner and listen to the engine as they turned on the engine and drove off. And as suspected, I was right, that was really a diesel powered Porsche - no doubt about that."

As previously reported, it is believed the most logical engine candidate, which is currently being developed by Audi, is a twin-turbocharged 3.2 litre V6 diesel engine producing more than 300bhp.

Attachments

• diesel_cayenne2_144.jpg
    diesel_cayenne2_144.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 3,971
  • diesel_cayenne_198.jpg
    diesel_cayenne_198.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 3,970
According to new reports from Germany's AutoSTR..

Porsche has stated in the past it would not fit any diesel powerplants to its cars but with toughening fuel economy and emissions regulations looming in both the U.S. and Europe the sports carmaker may not have a choice. Industry experts are predicting Porsche will use an upgraded Audi V6 turbodiesel in its Cayenne SUV next year.

According to new reports from Germany's AutoSTR, power from the Audi V6 will be boosted to around 320hp (238kW) from the current 240hp (179kW) levels. More powerful V8 diesels have reportedly been ruled out due to weight issues and subsequent handling compromises.

Porsche's new diesel is expected to achieve a fuel-consumption rating of 23mpg (9.9L/100km), which should help improve the carmaker's carbon footprint and allow the car to be registered in lower tax brackets in countries where registration taxes are based on emissions.

At the same time Porsche is also working on a new hybrid powertrain featuring an electric motor matched to s petrol V6. This new powertrain will debut in the Panamera sedan due in 2010 but it will also be available in the next-generation Cayenne and possibly the upcoming 'baby' SUV. The hybrid will be even more efficient than the diesel, with a hybrid Cayenne concept already returning fuel economy ratings of 26.8mpg (8.9L/100km).

Attachments

• porsche_cayenne_196.jpg
    porsche_cayenne_196.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 3,941
3.0 V6 oil-burning Cayenne could arrive early next year

Porsche's first-ever diesel production car will be launched in March 2009, it has been reported. The oil-burning Cayenne SUV is expected to borrow an Audi engine and the company is looking to sell around 15,000 units a year.

According to reports however Porsche is not going to be using the powerful 326bhp V8 diesel from the Q7 line-up, instead going for the 240bhp 3.0-litre V6. The decision to create a diesel Porsche is sure to upset the traditionalists but the firm is determined to push ahead with an ever expanding model range.

Porsche is expected to be bringing out a facelifted Boxster in January and so has moved back the diesel unveiling to avoid a clash. The firm is said to have been persuaded to bring out a diesel in response to rising fuel prices and pressure to cut emissions.

Source.Autocarmag

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it is just wrong to try and run a car on heating oil. :evil:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back