Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Puncture today!

Jamie_G

Went to get in the car this morning and thankfully I noticed a puncture.

Porsche assistance were great in coming out, taking the wheel off and identifying where the puncture was. They have put me on a spacesaver - big red thing and have taken my wheel to Surbiton Tyre & Wheel (nice and local). Later this afternoon they will have a new identical tyre on for me.

The tread on all the others looks like c.5mm - my question is.....

Should I be getting two new tyres on the rear instead of one or is that only a problem if you mix tyre type?

Jamie said:
Went to get in the car this morning and thankfully I noticed a puncture.

Porsche assistance were great in coming out, taking the wheel off and identifying where the puncture was. They have put me on a spacesaver - big red thing and have taken my wheel to Surbiton Tyre & Wheel (nice and local). Later this afternoon they will have a new identical tyre on for me.

The tread on all the others looks like c.5mm - my question is.....

Should I be getting two new tyres on the rear instead of one or is that only a problem if you mix tyre type?

Yes!

Are they definitely getting a new one not repairing it? If so I would agree new is probably best way to go....

Jamie - somewhere in the handbook it will say something like - if the tyre depth on 2 tyres accross an axel differs between X.X % then new tyres of the same depth must be fitted.

Well it says that in the 993 handbook.........or i read it on t'internet...... :D

Then again Porsche assist should know? :?:

The technician only advised me to put one new tyre on which is what I have done.

So, is there a major problem with this?

Jamie said:
The technician only advised me to put one new tyre on which is what I have done.

So, is there a major problem with this?

ABS/PSM might, and I say might pick up on a differing rolling radius and cause them to act in an unusual way.

I remember having a few problems with my wife's 330Ci, when I drove it in a spirited way the DSC would kick in places where I'd never seen it happen before, sweeping left incline off a motorway the DSC light would be flickering constantly. I did some investigation and one of the rears was replaced at some point by the previous owner and there was a good few mill. difference left to right resulting in the problem. The BMW dealer replaced both tyres and problem was solved.

Jamie said:
...and have taken my wheel to Surbiton Tyre & Wheel (nice and local)...

Hi Jamie - I've used these guys several times for new tyres / puncture repairs etc. Always been happy with their work and the prices are pretty good.

tim

Tim, they did a good job indeed.

Damian, I drive the car pretty conservatively (noting i still have 5mm left after 9k miles) most of the time i.e. never get PSM going normally so would you recommend that I see how I go for a week or so? Wanted to avoid shelling out another £300 quid if possible - but not if it is really a problem.

Any more view on the topic?

I was told if there was 1.5 to 2mm difference you need to consider changing the other tyre also, in fact this is what I did when I got a puncture last year.

The manual for the C2S states the tread depth deviation "must" not exceed 30% on one axle. So 8mm depth on the new tyre x 30% = 2.4mm. Therefore the minimum depth of the other tyre on the same axle "must" not be less than 5.6mm.

Hope that helps. :thumb:

you could esnure you turn more often to the side of the old tyre, that way after a few thousand miles, the new tyre will have caught up... 8) 8)

tim993 said:
you could esnure you turn more often to the side of the old tyre, that way after a few thousand miles, the new tyre will have caught up... 8) 8)

Heavy duty roundabout session? :p

Peach said:
tim993 said:

Heavy duty roundabout session? :p

On the way to the 'Ring if on the wrong side :mrgreen:

I had a rear swapped about 3000 miles in due to a pot hole.
I replaced just one tyre with no long term issues.

garyw

ResB said:
I was told if there was 1.5 to 2mm difference you need to consider changing the other tyre also, in fact this is what I did when I got a puncture last year.

The manual for the C2S states the tread depth deviation "must" not exceed 30% on one axle. So 8mm depth on the new tyre x 30% = 2.4mm. Therefore the minimum depth of the other tyre on the same axle "must" not be less than 5.6mm.

Hope that helps. :thumb:

I will go and buy a tyre depth guage today then and make a call on it.

Thanks for all your views.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back