Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rockingham, Northamptonshire

ROCKINGHAM, Northamptonshire

• 5 Stars out of 5 Stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 Stars out of 5 Stars

• 3 Stars out of 5 Stars

• 2 Stars out of 5 Stars

• 1 Stars out of 5 Stars

• Total voters

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Please review this Trackday Circuit on this thread........

Rockingham Motor Speedway
Mitchell Road
Corby
Northamptonshire
NN17 5AF

http://www.rockingham.co.uk/track/trackdays.asp

rockingham.jpg
[/b]

After watching a couple of videos I wouldn't mind having a go of this American style circuit. Some good twisty bits on the infield and some high speed stuff on the banking 8)

Changes time at Rockingham means that they are starting to run the International Super Sports Car Circuit (picture as attached) a lot more, which although slightly shorter than the International circuit still includes a banked section.

International Super Sports Car Circuit

Length 1.94 miles
Width 11 meters
Max.Min Bank Angle Turn 1 - 7 degrees
Turns 12

As the situation of noise limits at Bedford Aerodrome gets worse, will Rockingham be the new circuit for beginners and intermediate drivers ? the big advantage Rockingham has it that it offers height and camber changes, whereas Bedford does not.

Although the run off's are certainly not as wide or forgiving as Bedford, the track is noticeable wider than most, which provides an added benefit, with certain slow speed corners being so wide it is very easy to through sideways and still get away with it !

I can see why Rockingham is a circuit favoured by the drift car's.

Going around the banking is a very scary position early on, as it's very much a case of speed + concrete wall = not a great combination, so instruction is vital to get the most out of the circuit. Thankfully I had excellent instruction of the Porsche Super Cup racer Sean Edwards to show me the way around. So later I the day I was confident to approach the banking at full power and go around on a balanced throttle without any braking, whilst Sean was still telling me I could have gone much faster!

I was always surprising how early you can get on the power before the actual apex point, just as long as I didn't turn in too soon, which is very easy to do when you are driving towards a concrete wall !

Turn 2 is a "big" braking point, trail braking all the way around the 180 degree turn into the infield, where it was still easy to flick the tail out when every I was on the power a bit too early.

The run down to turn 3 is an odd section as it never suited the gears of my mk2 Gt3, but when you get there is very easy to run wide and the circuit heads up into a fast sweeping section of corners (right-left-left-left) which make up all the different to your lap. This section is where the real challenge exists, to maintain momentum whilst getting the car turned in with a gear change whilst using little braking.

During the briefing it was said that this section was one of the best sections of any track in the country, he may have had a point, as it's part you just want to keep doing over and over again as you get faster and faster as the day progresses!

Now to the very wide 180 degree turn, just before the back of the pits, where I found it to be oversteer heaven ! so a good place to try out those oversteer control moments as it's so wide there were about a dozen different lines you could take, mostly while sideways! although watch out Armco further up the road.

The final run up to the tight complex to get you back onto the banking is a bit of a non-event for a 911, but entry speed onto the banking is crucial and it is easy to loose so much time if you run wide and again quite easy to get sideways on the exit.

All in all, a very enjoyable circuit and I would highly recommend Rockingham. I look forward to returning one day but I only run an event that would include the banking, for the sheer rollercoaster ride of going around the banking. The infield is very entertaining, but could be longer as the length of the banking means the circuit isn't actually that long.

Set up wise my rock solid Manthey KW settings coped well on the very smooth surfaces, although it does it dusty and dirty off line on the banking, so watch out!

Attachments

• internsupsport_120.jpg
    internsupsport_120.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 15,323
Top notch info peeps :)

I'm there on the 11th of May and from what it sounds like, I'm going to have a pretty fun time!

Best watch out for that concrete wall mind you....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back