Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fair Wear and Tear?

spiderman88

I have a 12 month old 997 C2 which has done 6k miles and a couple of trackdays. On both trackdays the brakes have faded dramatically and I've just had to have all the pads replaced and new fluid owing to the fact that the brake performance is now abysmal (glazed pads and a soft pedal).

I was going to clean the pads up but when they came off the car they were breaking up badly - not worn particularly but badly glazed and cracking badly.

My question is whether this is "normal". I've never experienced that level of brake fade and deterioration in any other car and, to be honest, am astonished that a 65k "performance" car can't do more than a couple of sessions on an airfield without the brake pedal hitting the carpet.

I've had to have OE parts put back on but am also interested in suggestions for improvements (my guess is that I'm going to need to swap them again before the summer's out). Pagid Blue or Yellow? Castrol fluid?

Thanks for any insights.....

Castrol SRF should sort out the problems of the soft pedal.

If you plan on tracking more often, I would recommend changing to either Pagid Blues or if you wanted the best on track performance, Pagid Yellows (RS29s).

If the pads are glazed, you may also want to adapt the braking technique and/or take in additional cooling down laps to give them a chance to cool down before coming into the pits.

It's not uncommon for road brake pads to break up on heavy track use. The 911, out of the box and unless a GT model, is still very much a road car in standard form. Thankfully it doesn't take much to convert it into a car that will hold up well on track.

That's what surprised me - careful warming and three laps without touching the brakes to cool down afterwards.

I've raced and trackdayed for 15 years and never had brakes go as quickly as this - even on road cars.

Oh well, such is life. Thanks for the pointers. I assume that using SRF and aftermarket pads won't affect warranty?

I replaced my pads with Textar (from design911) as I believe they make pads for Porsche (who just badge them up). When I mentioned to design911 that I was going to track the car, the guy asked how many sets of pads I wanted as he expected one set to pretty much last one track day.

Well I'm off next saturday, so lets see.

Regarding a soft pedal - does this come on gradually or suddenly? I dont have enough experience to have had it before, so am worried if it came on as I head towards a barrier?

It wasn't sudden in the sense that one minute there was brakes and next they'd gone but it came on pretty quickly - the pedal was getting spongy by the end of a 6-8 lap run, came back a bit once they'd cooled and then went off again in the second session. At no time did I lose brakes completely but I had to pump the pedal quite a bit to get any feel back.

Thanks!

Dave

hmm, you've got me wondering now...

my big red kit came with textar\oem pads, and i;ve the same pads for the rear...

i dont do that many track days, yet at least, would it be worth me selling the pads before i fit them "as new" and getting something else i wonder, or will big reds and oem pads be sufficient on a lightish 964?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back