Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

latest autocar issue: 997 TT v Skyline GTR

Porsche

This weeks Autocar.....

Just had a read, I am shocked that the skyline actually weights 200kg more, so it may actually have a bit more power than quoted but OMG it completely spanked the 997 TT

:eek:

Having driven r32 and r33 skylines in various power incarnations, they are blisteringly quick so I can only assume the R35 will be damn quick .... but you can never shake the "yeah, but it's all the computers not you" feeling..... At least with the GT3, it's all about you and the car pure.....

I actually found the Evo 8 a great drive having a play with one for a day in Scotland. Steering was the best bit. Nice and firm, but 2 turns lock to lock. It was like go-cart steering..... Again though, playstation computers driving diffs etc....

Hi Guys

I am a total newbie! - I am shocked :eek: I got delivery of my brand new 997 turbo in December 07 and thought nothing could touch it! I haven't read the article yet, but find it very hard to swallow that the old plasystation on wheels has spanked my beloved turbo!!

Bits G said:
Hi Guys

I am a total newbie! - I am shocked :eek: I got delivery of my brand new 997 turbo in December 07 and thought nothing could touch it! I haven't read the article yet, but find it very hard to swallow that the old plasystation on wheels has spanked my beloved turbo!!

although there is a point where Porsche haven't gone down the electronics route

Bugatti Veyron is an example of a car packed with driving gadgets to demo that the Germans can do it but there is a price

but ask yourself this, how much of that £60k for the Skyline are the electronics

would you want a £5-10k electronics option on your TT ?

still the GTR is a bloody amazing bit of kit but caters for a different market

wonder then they will test it against a GT3 :tea:

As a total control freak when it comes to cars, I wouldn't enjoy the Nissan I don't think... It's a bit like the Eurofighter - inherantly unstable and totally dependant on the electronics to stay on the black stuff when pushed to the limit. Fine if you trust all that stuff, but I don't even like turbos because of the very slight degree of unpredictability of the torque delivery! :roll:

Completely irrational I'm sure, but for me, a lot of the fun in driving quickly is the sense of reward from getting the best result out of a challenging car :lol:

That's two posts this week now that I'm starting to sound like an old air-cooled / no electronics enthusiast!

Bits G said:
Hi Guys

Hi Bits,
The GT-R has far from spanked the 997 Turbo.I think the margin was around 1/2 second around the track.Thats not so bad, as the 997 TT was not designed to be a track car.The Nissan has been developed over 5 years with the TT in mind, and fitted with everything electrical immaginable to keep it on the road ahead.I think the main reason, if any, that the GT-R is quicker, is its mega gearbox.There is just no let up in acceleration with this kind of component.The tiptronic just cant compete with that, and with the manual, as soon as you drop the clutch to change a gear, no matter how quick you are with the stick, you loose vital acceleration milliseconds.Try an M5 , in P500S mode in S6 with the DSC switched off.You will see what i mean.Also the GT-R, is proven to have around 520 bhp, so another 40 than the TT.The GT-R spanks the TT on price, i agree,but the Porsche is just quality, class and a life long ambition.The TT is quicker in a straight line, it achieved a higher peak speed then the GT-R, and i remember one of the first magazine reports,Top Gear, saying that the Porsche ever so slowly crept away from the Nissan.So, now the TT is the underdog, i think thats great,because it will be even more fun, if i see a GT-R on the roads, because i now have no excuses, as the GT-R is the fastest car on the road.So, after all the hype etc, i still dont think the GT-R spanks the 997 turbo.Regards, SIMON.

Wattie said:
As a total control freak when it comes to cars, I wouldn't enjoy the Nissan I don't think... It's a bit like the Eurofighter - inherantly unstable and totally dependant on the electronics to stay on the black stuff when pushed to the limit. Fine if you trust all that stuff, but I don't even like turbos because of the very slight degree of unpredictability of the torque delivery! :roll:

Completely irrational I'm sure, but for me, a lot of the fun in driving quickly is the sense of reward from getting the best result out of a challenging car :lol:

That's two posts this week now that I'm starting to sound like an old air-cooled / no electronics enthusiast!

:eek:ld:

:yes:

:joker:

Hi Bits,
The GT-R has far from spanked the 997 Turbo.I think the margin was around 1/2 second around the track.Thats not so bad, as the 997 TT was not designed to be a track car.The Nissan has been developed over 5 years with the TT in mind, and fitted with everything electrical immaginable to keep it on the road ahead.I think the main reason, if any, that the GT-R is quicker, is its mega gearbox.There is just no let up in acceleration with this kind of component.The tiptronic just cant compete with that, and with the manual, as soon as you drop the clutch to change a gear, no matter how quick you are with the stick, you loose vital acceleration milliseconds.Try an M5 , in P500S mode in S6 with the DSC switched off.You will see what i mean.Also the GT-R, is proven to have around 520 bhp, so another 40 than the TT.The GT-R spanks the TT on price, i agree,but the Porsche is just quality, class and a life long ambition.The TT is quicker in a straight line, it achieved a higher peak speed then the GT-R, and i remember one of the first magazine reports,Top Gear, saying that the Porsche ever so slowly crept away from the Nissan.So, now the TT is the underdog, i think thats great,because it will be even more fun, if i see a GT-R on the roads, because i now have no excuses, as the GT-R is the fastest car on the road.So, after all the hype etc, i still dont think the GT-R spanks the 997 turbo.Regards, SIMON

Thank you Simon, would you believe I still can't bring myself to read the article! :bonk:
I went for the manual box, just because of the feel. I did my test drive at Milbrook and did not enjoy the tiptronic at all.
I test drove a F430 and a Gallardo; both were no match for TT for both, IMO, driving pleasure and quality. I didn't even consider the Skyline, Evo or the like! Would be interesting to meet a GT-R after reading your final sentence :D

Bits G said:
Hi Bits,
The GT-R has far from spanked the 997 Turbo.I think the margin was around 1/2 second around the track.Thats not so bad, as the 997 TT was not designed to be a track car.The Nissan has been developed over 5 years with the TT in mind, and fitted with everything electrical immaginable to keep it on the road ahead.I think the main reason, if any, that the GT-R is quicker, is its mega gearbox.There is just no let up in acceleration with this kind of component.The tiptronic just cant compete with that, and with the manual, as soon as you drop the clutch to change a gear, no matter how quick you are with the stick, you loose vital acceleration milliseconds.Try an M5 , in P500S mode in S6 with the DSC switched off.You will see what i mean.Also the GT-R, is proven to have around 520 bhp, so another 40 than the TT.The GT-R spanks the TT on price, i agree,but the Porsche is just quality, class and a life long ambition.The TT is quicker in a straight line, it achieved a higher peak speed then the GT-R, and i remember one of the first magazine reports,Top Gear, saying that the Porsche ever so slowly crept away from the Nissan.So, now the TT is the underdog, i think thats great,because it will be even more fun, if i see a GT-R on the roads, because i now have no excuses, as the GT-R is the fastest car on the road.So, after all the hype etc, i still dont think the GT-R spanks the 997 turbo.Regards, SIMON

Thank you Simon, would you believe I still can't bring myself to read the article! :bonk:
I went for the manual box, just because of the feel. I did my test drive at Milbrook and did not enjoy the tiptronic at all.
I test drove a F430 and a Gallardo; both were no match for TT for both, IMO, driving pleasure and quality. I didn't even consider the Skyline, Evo or the like! Would be interesting to meet a GT-R after reading your final sentence :D

Hello Bits,
Yes, its interesting about the tiptronic, i think it actually detracts from the turbo experience.Its like sitting there pushing a plastic button, being as far away from the driving experience as possible.The manual, with quickshift is just fantastic, exactly what a Porsche 911 Turbo is all about.Being there at the very heart of the driving experience/pleasure.Im actually waiting to take delivery of my 997 Turbo in April.Im doing the Millbrook day in May, and am looking forward to making the most of it, with lots of questions for the instructors.I know this is a silly statement,but disregarding the performance of the Turbo, or GT-R as well for a second, one of my requisits of owning a mega car is, which car would i most like to turn up in, at a fabulous restaurant with my wife?,or take a driving holiday blasting around beautiful Scotland, and by far and away the answer is a Porsche 911, 997 Turbo :thumbs: , regards, SIMON. :D :bye:

Hi Simon

I went for the sport shifter, worth its weight in gold!!!
I do love this car!!
Would really like to know sort of spec you are going for!

Do not think a Nissan will ever look as good as a 911 TURBO! :p

Bits G said:
Hi Simon

I went for the sport shifter, worth its weight in gold!!!
I do love this car!!
Would really like to know sort of spec you are going for!

Do not think a Nissan will ever look as good as a 911 TURBO! :p

Bits,
Spec of my car-
Arctic silver
Black leather
manual
sportshifter
axle diff lock/lsd
Aluminium gear lever/handbrake
leather logoed centre console lid
heated seats cd changer
rear wiper
thicker 3 spoke wheel
stainless door entry guards
sports chrono
telephone module
park assist
embossed headrests
painted side skirts.

I think this is a good spec, and not over the top.If i make any mods, it will be just to get the best out of the standard chassis and engine, eg- I might change the brake pads to a more aggresive compound, making the most of the already excellent standard 6 pots, along with changing the brake fluid, this should be more than enough for road use.It will never see a track.Same with the suspension, i am planning on checking the alignment, and maybe go for the GT3 set up, which should tighten the turn in up a touch, and give slighlty more stability?.Maybe an engine re-map, again just to get the most from the standard set up.I dont think i will be changing any big components like exhausts etc.IMHO, this car is fantastic out of the box, so i shall see how i go, and what i think.What spec did you go for?.I specced the LSD, which i think not a lot of people do, but anything to help the 500 lb/ft torque fire me up the road, and for the price it costs, i think is a bargain.Regards, SIMON. :bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back