Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying advice 997

I'm new to the forum and have got a dealer finding me a 997 (my 1st Porsche) I've said I want the keys by the end of Feb 08, he is an independent well established Porsche dealer who seems to stock a lot of tiptronics, I intend to drive the car everyday rain or shine, the dealer is telling me that tips are very popular especially as I will be sitting in rush hour traffic every day, I can see the sense in what he says, but I would really like manual, is he just trying to sort me out from his stock instead of sourcing me one, or is he right in what he says. I know he is a car dealer and I do trust him as much as you can as he is a friend of a friend.
So is it maual or auto for everyday use with just the occasional blast along the B roads.

Welcome to the site by the way! Purists always say manual, but at the end of the day there are a lot of parts of this country where driving is a complete pain and an auto makes more sense, especially in the rush hour. Where are you in the UK?

Manual or manual unless you are planning to do most of your driving in central London (even then, I'd go for manual just for the times when you find those wide open, twisty roads with nobody else on them)

BTW, that's just my humble opinion. :lol:

Best to test drive both and make up your mind, but make sure you drive it the way you are most likely to drive in real life. Modern tips can be great fun and whilst I love my 993 manual on my everyday BMW I'd have preferred the Steptronic box for everyday driving.

I'm with seagull, i have a manual and do most of my driving in or around London. Have cursed the box at times when stuck in central jams, but thats all forgotten when in clear air and get to work with the revs and stick. 8) IMHO

Tiptronic on the 997 is brilliant. I'd suggest much better choice for a daily commuter car. And by buying a contemporary Porsche now, you're not really choosing a car that is aimed at a small low volume market in the same way as the air-cooled models were. That market is IMHO now served by models like the GT3.

Having said that, I think the 997 manual is good and have no issues with my 993 manual if and when I decide to use it for everyday stuff.

But, given the execeptional performance on the 997S and the option of the sport chrono pack and adaptive suspension, my view is that the tiptronic box is no longer a reason NOT to buy a car. It would be my preference for every day use. Best thing is to try it. :)

Thanks, thats give me something to think about, I guess I really need to try a tip, I was half expecting the verdict to be manual, so now I'm a little undecided. I'm in Coventry but have to drive to Birmingham for work,

The other GB said:
Thanks, thats give me something to think about, I guess I really need to try a tip, I was half expecting the verdict to be manual, so now I'm a little undecided. I'm in Coventry but have to drive to Birmingham for work,

I'm in Bham, give me a call if you want your 997 to loook like its "supposed" to. :dance:

Welcome to the forum by the way.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back