Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Seat Mountings

Seagull

Just in case any of you haven't read my post on PCGB or Rennlist about this, here's a word of warning.

I was taking my seats out the other day ready to get them refurbished and I spotted a potential horror story. :shock:

The outer, rear mount for the drivers seat has completely broken up, so I hate to think what would happen in the event of an accident. the mount is a small turret spot welded onto a sub-frame which is, in turn, spot welded to the floor. It has a bar with 2 tappings for the seat mount, captive under it. It won't be a major job to have a new one fabricated which is a good thing because apparantly, the replacement sub-frame is 300 Euro and on back order.

It only takes 30 mins to remove and re-fit the seat and all you need is a 6mm allen key, so I would urge you to check yours - since posting this on PCGB, I have heard of 4 other instances.

IMGP0758.jpg

RS, Cups and RS America IIRC, but the frame is the same for all models so it is entirely possible it could have happened to a C2 or C4 as well. Also, it hasn't happened only on the driver's side, Mel had the passenger side go in his.

For an hours work, I think it would be worth people checking just for the peace of mind. I wouldn't have thought about it if I hadn't been taking the seats out anyway - the only symptoms I can think about was a sort of creaking sound.

mine was ok, although my offside seat, front tunnel side was similar...

Thanks for the heads up Stewart. I was wondering if it was anything to do with RS and cups having no underseal compared to our lardy C2 and C4s but I guess this is rust from the inside so it could happen to all 964s. I shall check mine in due course.

Steve, it's not a rust issue, it's just that the part isn't up to the repeated strain it has because the metal is about as thick as the paint on a '70s Datsun.

My old C2 had this issue, but nowhere near as bad as yours. I find it amazing that Porsche used such a puny little mounting point for something which could potentially need to take quite significant loads, especially in an accident.

Jamie

PS I like your harness mounting bracket - is that a Brey Krause one ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back