Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ABS Not Working

TJW964

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi All

Anyone had any problems with ABS not working?
If so, how did you fix it?

1990 C2, so hammer does not show it on diagnostics.

Cheers
Trevor

Could be an electronics issue as ABS systems can turn off when there is an electrics issue

But no known problems

Seen Reply

Boxsey said:
Did you see my reply on the PCGB forum about cleaning the wheel sensors?

Hi Steve

Yes thanks, think this will be it. Will get garage to do it after the break, don't have jacks or ramps myself and would get my hands dirty. LOL.

Just interested to see if there are any other possibilities. The ABS on these doesn't seem to have had many faults, despite the age of the cars. Not like the BMW's of the same sort of age, perhaps it is cos theirs was 'more advanced'.

Also Porsche did not put the diagnostics onto the C2 even though it was brought after the C4, which does have it, or the 993. The 964 was such a development step for Porsche, we gained a lot but also proved to be guinea pigs for many later models.

Wouldn't swap a thing. Love mine. Been a gem.

Cheers
Trevor

Glad you saw it mate. You can do this job with a normal jack. But if you get the garage to do it, make sure you get a discount for telling them what to do! :p

Re: Seen Reply

TJW964 said:
Boxsey said:
Did you see my reply on the PCGB forum about cleaning the wheel sensors?

Hi Steve

Yes thanks, think this will be it. Will get garage to do it after the break, don't have jacks or ramps myself and would get my hands dirty. LOL.

Just interested to see if there are any other possibilities. The ABS on these doesn't seem to have had many faults, despite the age of the cars.

Sorry not quite true. Failure of the ABS unit is a known problem on the 964 and is becoming more common as the cars age. One problen is the unit (to the left of the spare wheel) has the electrical connectors on the top. This gets water trapped in it resulting in the eventual failure of the unit. This was fixed in the 993 as the unit was turned upside down, moving the connectors under the unit, so solving the problem.

If that is your problem you will need a new ABS unit.

Ian.

Re: Seen Reply

ian_uk said:
If that is your problem you will need a new ABS unit.
Ian.

Ian

That was the view the garage were coming to.

We tried taking off the relays and getting a clicking (to show relays work) and this works for the one on the left (of the 2 relays on the right of the spare wheel, as you look at the front of the car towards windscreen and at the back of the wheel), didn't work on the one on the right. Replaced relay, no good.

Removed one of the sensors and still no warning light or ABS. Did not try cleaning them though, well worth a go.

Otherwise I'll be looking at 2nd hand bits, maybe Porsche Apart?

How many others have failed? My indie did not know of any.

Cheers and Merry Xmas to you all
Trevor

I don't believe I have heard of a failed ABS unit in the last 6 years.......

The chap who looks after my car has seen a few recently. As I say it's to do with the connections being on top and the long term effects of water getting trapped in that area. The problem tends to affect higher mileage daily drivers that spend a lot of time outside.

I think you are going through the right process of elimination first. The weak point of the 964 generally is the much more complicated electronics compared to earlier models and it could just be a loose or corroded connector.

Ian.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back