Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Modifications and insurance ?

Mark Jonzo

Trainee
Hi, i am thinking of having certain mods to the car such as sports suspension pack, anti-roll bars etc, etc.
Whats the general response/effect on Insurance premiums when having these mods done? Does it mean an instant ramp up of pricing? or are certain Insurance companies better than others when it comes to modifications?

Do we have to report even small mods like fitting a K&N filter and or Cup pipe bypass etc?

I want to get these things done but not if it means i get absolutely rinsed on Insurance every year as i would rather spend the readies on more trackdays!

I declared the following upgrade on my 993tt:

Porsche 450hp powerkit plus.

This contains bigger K24 turbos, new ECU and new oil cooler.

Total premium, fuuly comp, £540 with Performance Insurance. The policy is underwritten by Group AMA.

That was a full £400 less than A-Plan Insurance which alot of people seem to rave about. I was with them last year and when I explained I had moved to another Insurance company they said 'why didn't you mention it earlier since we also do Group AMA'. Well, A-Plan lost my business for being devious and waiting for me to query their cost. They shoul dhave immediately quoted me the Group AMA offer but they were greedy.

any mod needs declaration.

some take them into account with premiums, some just note them down...

i have :

full cage, big red brakes, uprated RS rears, lowered, shocks, no interior, buckets, 6 point harnesses, exhaust, air filter, drilled air box and a few others...

£750 FC - it does depend on your personal circumstances, the thing that made a difference for me is I have a very good history of "fast" cars...

My reading of the modifications clause for Insurance is to declare those things that add value to your car e.g. very expensive audio system or BBS wheels. Or are significant performance mods e.g. different/more powerful engine or supercharger.

In my mind changes to the air filter, exhaust system, suspension (unless it's a bespoke expensive job) are not going to make a gnat's to the value. So for my relatively standard 964 I have it insured for an agreed value so that I could replace it with something similar.

Power increasing mods are the ones that affect your premium the most. (eg, exhausts/engine conversions etc). The increase in premium is dependent upon how much the power increase is: they tend to band it off in increments of 10%.

Aesthetic mods (spoilers etc) and things like brakes etc does not make any difference.

The above was the case with Allianz, but it may vary from insurer to insurer.

If in doubt, declare it. If you have a good broker, they should be able to argue your case to keep increases to a minimum.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back