Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warranty woes 997

Hi chaps. Sorry for the lack of a progress report. Just out of hospital after a small op.

Prior to doing any more work on the car, OPC Leeds insisted on written confirmation from us that we would agree to pay the £1700 that it would cost to remove the engine from the car and re-fix the bolt, re-assemble the engine and put it back in the car.

OPC Leeds insisted on us agreeing this before they would do any more investigative work on the car. This is to protect their own position and ensure they are paid for any work carried out.

In the interim period (earlier last week) my wife contacted customer services at OPC Solihull. This is where we bought the car from in April.

Their service guy was astounded at how we were being messed about and told my wife that if we had returned the car to them, it would have been fixed at no cost to us and OPC Solihull would have then argued the warranty issue with Porsche internally.

We have now been contacted by OPC Leeds and told that further damage has occurred to the engine, requiring the replacement of several valves and other components :cry: Apparently they have sent a three page list of parts to Porsche warranty UK that will be required to repair the car :shock:

I really don't have a good feeling about this. If I'm entirely honest I'm not even sure if we will be able to afford the repairs, if Porsche don't cough up.

I'll let you know how I get on when I have more news.

Andy Brown

I have some good news. My wife received a call from OPC leeds last night to say that Porsche Warranty are going to pay for the repairs to the car. These amount to some £8500+ VAT. The only thing we may have to pay for are consumables (oil and so on). The guy at Leeds is going to argue that what would normally be classed as a consumable is only having to be changed because of a fault and consequently should also be covered by warranty.

I'll let you know the full outcome once the car is home.

My wife and I have discussed this and have decided to sell the car once the repairs have been carried out.
The car was supposed to be a present to ourselves after the hardship of a long self build and my finally getting into remission from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. The warranty problems have really taken all the enjoyment out of owning the vehicle, the cancer is back (which is part of the reason this was such a big hassle) and we will be trading the vehicle in at the earliest available opportunity.

Many thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.

good news on the warranty at least.

but sorry to hear the cancer is back, good luck in your fight.

really sorry to hear this Andy!

I wonder if this is a common 997 problem?

F1_Dragon said:
good news on the warranty at least.

but sorry to hear the cancer is back, good luck in your fight.

What he said- best wishes with the recovery.

Good luck for a speedy recovery

I'd get the car back,
wash it dry it
drive it and enjoy it

the mind has a remarkable skill of remembering the good times and forgetting the bad

You waited a long time for your 997, now enjoy it

I am also sorry to hear of this tale. As a prospective 997 customer, I'd like to think your experience is an isolated one. I rather hope you might swap your 997 for a different one, or as Mark suggests, keep the (hopefully) problem-free car and just enjoy.

~ Maxie

Really sorry to hear the news. I can certainly understand where your thinking is, because my wife has been through something similar this year. I really hope you beat it for good this time.

As for the car, with these issues, I can really see the logic.

Personally, I would leave it a few months and then see how you feel. You'll take a hit on the resale if you sell immediately or in a few months, so think about it in the new year.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back