Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Modified with a Classic Style Targa Roof

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
All the way from Italy, not much in the way of details, but very well done.

997Targa1.jpg

997Targa2.jpg

997Targa3.jpg

997Targa4.jpg

997Targa5.jpg

997Targa6.jpg

They may actually be German based on the plate !

I like it a lot adds some style.

Very well executed.

~ Maxie :)

It looks well engineered but I'm not sure I like it.

Must have cost a fortune to do as bespoke I assume, and why wouldn't you just have the targa or a cab :?:

DPJenkinson said:
I like it a lot adds some style.

As above really.....I think that looks really good!.......As Scott has pointed out though, it probably cost an arm and three legs to do!!... 8)

6 months later, another old school Targa roof hit's the main stream motoring markets

If you've been in the market for a vintage, or just affordable, Porsche 911 in the last ten years, you've undoubtedly noticed the number of Targa-topped 911s for sale. The reason for the glut of Targas is two fold: Porsche sold a slew of them in the 70s and 80s and they remain less desirable than their fixed-roof counterparts. However, the allure of the Targa hasn't been lost.

Porsche's introduction of the 911 Targa was largely a response to stringent safety regulations in the 1960s, but the appeal of both an open-air experience (without the aesthetic and noise issues of a traditional cloth convertible) and some manner of additional safety made the Targa a popular choice. Porsche reintroduced its modern interpretation of the Targa last year, but instead of the removable roof and fixed rollbar/B-pillar, it opted for a duo of sliding glass panels.

Paso Robles, California-based performance shop, VeloTech, has decided to move beyond its bread and butter business – turbocharging European vehicles – and has developed its own traditional targa setup for current 911s. The roof, which is comprised mainly of carbon fiber, is still a pricey solution for a very select group of enthusiasts, but VeloTech maintains that if the price for the conversion can be reduced from its current cost ($10,000) to something more palatable ($6,000), the market could expand.

Attachments

• velotech_targa_111.jpg
    velotech_targa_111.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 39,394
That's potentially £3k on top of the cost of a Cab. For unique looks and a well executed conversion, I think it's worth the option.

~ Maxie

Still not a fan :nooo:

I think that's really cool!

Adds an extra level of versatility/uniqueness to the ubiquitous 997...

isn't it just a "different" sort of hardtop option? I mean how much is a hardtop for a 997? this at least would let you get the roof open easliy during the winter months if the weather was nice.

This is a great alternative to a hardtop..more flexible, probabbly not a lot more in cost, and very cool. You would certainly turn heads from those in the know.

turn heads or turn stomachs :D

sorry, never been a chop the roof off fan of any car, if it's designed that way in the first place ok but rag tops......hmmmm.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back