Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

998 Tip or not ? PDK

I wouldn't write off torque converter autos just yet... the new generation of auto boxes (as seen in Aston, Bentley, Audi etc) are really remarkable, blipping on downchanges, virtually instant lock-up and responding instantly to manual changes, thus giving a sporty drive with all the convenience and smoothness around town etc.

In addition, the torque converter gives a great slug of power at low speeds, making them quicker than manuals in some cases (inc 997 TT)

The Porsche auto box makes do with just 5 speeds, but with such a torquey car its enough really, esp the TT. Its just some autos now have 6 or 7 gears...

DSG etc work well, but they are complex and heavy, and are still jerky compared to an auto albeit a huge leap forward over older 'sequential' boxes. Many 'tip' buyers will still want a normal auto. DSG actually appeals more to sporty drivers

What about sequential, a la cup cars?

Max

Robertb said:
DSG etc work well, but they are complex and heavy, and are still jerky compared to an auto albeit a huge leap forward over older 'sequential' boxes. Many 'tip' buyers will still want a normal auto. DSG actually appeals more to sporty drivers

I wouldnt call the Audi DSG jerky. I think its about 30-40kg heavier than the manual g/b. The TC autobox is very complex and prone to failure.

Comparing the DSG to a manual gearbox is the real comparison.

Wolvreen said:
Robertb said:

I wouldnt call the Audi DSG jerky. I think its about 30-40kg heavier than the manual g/b. The TC autobox is very complex and prone to failure.

Comparing the DSG to a manual gearbox is the real comparison.

The apparent rumour is that the DSG wasn't up to the spec for a 911 Turbo, so had to be completely redesigned to cope with the power and speed demands.

Having driven a DSG car, it works well but although quick it certainly wasnt as quick as the race spec boxes out there or doesnt quite blip/heel toe as the latest Fezza boxes do

an option on the Mk2 997 TT ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back