Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First Porsche - 911 or Boxster?

peat

Trainee
I am considering buying my first Porsche.

I want something reasonably new (7/8 years old max but prefereably newer), and had initially assumed this would mean a Boxster given my budget - £20-30k.

Looking through the ads though it seems like I could also get a 996 for this sort or money.

I guess this forum might be a litle biased- but any thoughts? Is a newer Boxster a better bet than a slightly older 996 as a first Porsche?

obviously we'll be a bit biased but if you can afford to go 911 be it 993 or 996 then go for it............don't discount the 964/993 air-cooled models just cos they are older and less refined,they are a lot more solidly built and are rarer due to not many being sold compared to the water-cooled 911's...........and I'm not saying a Boxster is a bad car,far from it.....it just suffers from a poor image(Porsche wise that is)

Boxster is great to drive and a good way into Porsche ownership. The middle of your budget will get a 2 year old new shape boxster, a 3 year old shape boxster S or a 6+ year old 996.

You will lose a lot more money on the boxster than the 996.

So it comes down to whatever floats your boat.

Peat,
Echoing what Rodders says, I was in your boat 18 months ago and as I looked at what you can get for 20-30K I realised that a 993 is a whole lot more of a driver's car than the newer Porkers.

But it's all down to personal taste and why you want to move into Porsche in the first place.

Mark

Peat,
It depends what you plan to use it for as well. Is it an everyday office car? Or is it sunny weekends and trackdays? 996 is great as an 'everyday' car as would be a Boxster.

I had the same budget as you and went with the 996 as I use it almost daily, can get my lad in the back seats and it was the most modern that I could afford -a 2000 996 C4. I did look at a Boxster, for your money you can get an almost new one, but you will suffer much more depreciation than a 911. Early boxsters are now going for as little as 12k! However you get a much more modern, conventional interior if that's what you want.

What decided me was driving them all. After a few beers, I might agree that a 993 might be better than a 996 in the same way a Mk2 Golf Gti was 'better' than a Mk 3 Gti (you can see what I'm like in the pub now!) but it really is just your personal choice.

They are all good cars - just make sure you ignore the snobs that tell you a Boxster is not a 'proper' Porsche, an S certainly is! Good Hunting.

Was also in same boat at the beginning of the year. I was contemplating a 996 or a 987. I have always hankered after a 911 and spent many years saving up for the 'right' model. In the end I bought the 996 as my brother bought a Boxster and I didn't want to add the same model to the family again. That's not to say Boxsters are not good - far from it - my bro's car was an absolute dream to drive, loved the up to date interior and the way it's built. However, they depreciate quite a bit owing to larger supply. Test drive both and see what suits you.

~ Maxie

thanks guys.

right now i think i've been swayed towards a 996... looks like a lot of car for the money, and the points about the boxster depreciation seem to make some sense.

appreciate the advice- now i just need to get it together enought to take the plunge!

Rodders said:
obviously we'll be a bit biased but if you can afford to go 911 be it 993 or 996 then go for it............don't discount the 964/993 air-cooled models just cos they are older and less refined,they are a lot more solidly built and are rarer due to not many being sold compared to the water-cooled 911's...........and I'm not saying a Boxster is a bad car,far from it.....it just suffers from a poor image(Porsche wise that is)

I agree with that bias :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back