Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Becker head units v Pioneer v Alpine

TimS

Spa-Francorchamps
I think there are a few music fans on here so perhaps some would like to venture an opinion.

I'm going to swap out the Porsche CDR220 for a better headunit at the same time as dropping in better speakers. 18watts and the basic speakers sound terrible. This is into a 996 Cab. I'm not going for a satnav, just a good quality headunit with Ipod out, bluetooth and which will be connected to a 6 disc Pioneer changer that I already have. So I'm just looking for good sound quality.

I've always liked the Alpine stuff - some very non-flashy units with good sound quality and clear simple displays. The Pioneer kit tends to be a bit more 'Vauxhall Corsa', showy and a bit plastic but also good quality and should connect straight to the autochanger.

Has anyone had a listen to the sound quality of the Becker units versus either of these and formed any opinions? I know the Becker will look a bit more original, but would be happy with a good Alpine or similar, with toned down looks and colour matched display, if the sound quality if spot on.

Also I do think the Becker stuff seems to look a little fussy - too many buttons on the front on some models.

Also any other simple sound mods anyone might recommend (other than PSE obviously!)

Any suggestions?

For good/better sound quality you will need to replace the speakers, they are awful quality. Without replacing these the replacement headunits will sound pretty much the same.

So you've got a Pioneer CD Changer with a converter-box to attach it to the CDR220?

The Pioneer autochanger is from my last car, a CDX P670. I haven't enquired if it will connect to the CDR220 as I presume I'd be better buying a new head unit as well as speakers?

What I was wondering about was the quality of the new Becker units v the Alpine/Pioneer stuff.

Was thinking of some Infinity speakers too.

TimS said:
The Pioneer autochanger is from my last car, a CDX P670. I haven't enquired if it will connect to the CDR220 as I presume I'd be better buying a new head unit as well as speakers?

What I was wondering about was the quality of the new Becker units v the Alpine/Pioneer stuff.

Was thinking of some Infinity speakers too.

If you're considering iPod integration then you might find that changer a little surplus to requirements ;)

Generally Becker units are very good quality units, with sound quality equal to (often better than) the Alpine, Pioneer et al. The downside of these Beckers are the low power output compared to those mentioned.

When replacing the speakers you'll need to look at what you've got installed already as some Porsches have front and rear components, others a single 'co-axial' unit. The single unit will need to be replaced by a co-axial unit cannabilising the existing speaker frame to mount it. If you have a component speaker setup ie. a bass and a treble unit then it could be replaced with co-axial unit but the better option would be replace this with a higher-quality (read more expensive) component setup, I did this with my GT3.

The speaker sizes are 10cm for the pods, if you have the door bass units these use a 13cm speaker. The rears have plenty of space so no worry about speaker mounting depth. The fronts can be a squeeze with some units so go for the lowest profile you can find.

Good point about the changer :lol:
Hadnt' really thought about that, just thought as it was there, I'll put it in. Maybe a single cd and ipod connection might be a better idea.

Presumably the Becker's would need an amp fitting whereas the Alpine/Pioneers might not?

I've had a look at your thread with what you did on yours and I'd certainly go with the component fit if I could. I have some kind of six speaker set up with the dash, front door and rear.

How can I tell the difference between the co-ax and component already in the car if I go and have a look?

Just checked the rears -seem to be separate bass and tweeter. Can't get to the others though

TimS said:
Just checked the rears -seem to be separate bass and tweeter. Can't get to the others though

They'll be the same, just a little fiddly those fronts are ;)

fronts are a real pain to get to unless you have one of those angled screw drivers

latest Becker Cascade

IMG_0498a.jpg

Sundeep said:
fronts are a real pain to get to unless you have one of those angled screw drivers

latest Becker Cascade

IMG_0498a.jpg

I found a miniature ratchet at Maplin, this fits a T20 screwdriver bit perfectly.

You could always take the windscreen out ;)

Damian said:
Sundeep said:

I found a miniature ratchet at Maplin, this fits a T20 screwdriver bit perfectly.

You could always take the windscreen out ;)

I have an angled screw driver 8)

The becker looks good but do you need an amp with it?

TimS said:
The becker looks good but do you need an amp with it?

No.

If you've got fronts, doors and rears you've got a factory amp located somewhere in the front, might make the 'plumbing' interesting.

BTW, what's the car and year?

Its a 2000 996 Cab.

OK, this is the latest on the ' what do I put in those holes' debate..some suggestions please. :?

After a visit to my local car stereo place, they've suggested a few things. However it seems I'm going to have a problem getting anything good in terms of a headunit which has an amber display. Most of the good headunits (with bluetooth and ipod connections) now light up blue.

I can live with this as I'd rather have it sounding good. I know I could get a Becker which looks more original but to be honest have heard too many comments that the sound quality is not up to Pioneer/Alpine etc.

However also advised that the speaker sizes are 10cm, quite small now apparently. I can get component speakers, apparently much better sound than standard co-ax ones, but at £200 more per pair.

I've been quoted for the following kit:
Pioneer DEH-P7900UB headunit - £330
Pioneer BTB200 Bluetooth kit - £200
Focal 100KP 10cm component speakers for the dash - £280
Focal Vi 10 cm speakers for the rear - £85
(leaving the door bass units in place for now)
Genesis P2 Amp - £200

This comes to well over £1000! What ever happened to just popping in the headunit and a couple of speakers I know the Infinity Kappa 42.7 co-ax speakers fit and cost £200 less and can also shave a bit more off, buying all this on the internet if I have to But do I dramatically sacrifice sound quality using co-ax instead of components?

Did they see me coming and just quote the most expensive kit?

Has anyone got a different set up they are happy with? Answers on a postcard please!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back