Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 sound

Steve Wright

Spa-Francorchamps
The wife just nipped out in my car to pick my son up, I forgot how good it sounds. I think the noise is muted when Im driving but onlookers must be well impressed.Give it a go.

I noticed that when the new owner of my 996 drove off in it. I thought the Fabspeeds sounded way better from the outside - not that I was complaining about the sound on the inside.

Too much sound deadening material used in the back, weighs a ton too. Liberate the sound by removing the stuff under the carpets then put the carpet back. You can always put it back to how it was when you come to sell.

Mine suffers alot from road noise as it is, but Yes I did get to hear mine go down the road and felt quite happy about the sound. :p

I had the TT cab prior to this and used to love the sound of it happily sucking in the air and small animals :twisted:

garyw

Hi Gary
Removing this insulation over the engine bay wouldn't increase the road noise just the sound of the engine. The road noise comes through the tyres and suspension and requires better bushing and sound deadening over the wheel arch area to prevent it. You're right road noise is an irritant and too much of that drone is annoying. Luxury barges employ lots of clever stuff to cancel out road noise so it feels calmer and a more peaceful environment to be in without the constant reminder that your tyres are in play with the road.
The worst car I had for road noise was my Corvette C5 on concrete motoways, it was horrendous as if the tyre was slapping the road not rolling over it, you really couldn't hear anything else. I changed from run flats tryes and added some sound deadening material up and behind the plastic inner wheel arches and the result was terrific.

It also made the V8 sound even better :wink:

Marcus Quigley said:
It also made the V8 sound even better :wink:
:shock: Now that I'd like to of heard..

A friend has just moved from the C5 to the C6, but as we could we went out for a test drive of the Z06.. and it does make such a pretty noise... :twisted:

garyw

garyw said:
Mine suffers alot from road noise as it is,

not until you try a Club Sport GT3 do you know what road noise is :roll: the diff, brakes, tyres, on long journey's it's a :shock:

Sundeep said:
not until you try a Club Sport GT3 do you know what road noise is :roll: the diff, brakes, tyres, on long journey's it's a :shock:

nah! I did drive a Massey Ferguson once... :lol:

garyw

Will I be seeing, hearing and feeling that at the ring in a few weeks Sundeep :wink: Hope so...

Ha ha nice one Gary I bet the Massey Ferg is not too far from the noise of a GT3 CS like you say, I used to drive an old Nuffield on my folks farm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back