Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 TT defies the laws of physics

Chris W

Sebring
I got a ride in the TT at the Ace last night. My God! That is unbelieveable. I don't really know how to describe it but basically its like a Scalextric car with magnets on. Heading straight for a brick wall at stupid speed, turn the wheel, the car turns! Thats not supposed to happen! I have never experienced anything quite like it. We were heading towards a mini roundabout convinced we were going straight over given the speed we were doing , but no, we do 180 degrees and are still alive. And all this on a damp, drizzly night.

Personally I think I couldnt trust myself in a car like that as I'd try to see how far I could push it, but hats off to the driver he did know how to drive it. A car that you can literally do anything with and it won't kill you. What an incredible feat of engineering. A must do experience, get yourself to an OPC and have the ride of your life!

The stability on these new 911s is just amazing. I couldn't believe how planted the 997S was, even through standing water.
I'd love to see how the turbo handles.

So Poo said:
So - when are you getting one?

I could go today, chop in 993 and pay cash no problem, done.

But...I love my car, love the fact that I have to respect it and cant behave stupidly, and personally the TT lookswise just doesnt quite turn me on enough. There was a 997 GT3 in graphite last night and personally I thought it looked much nicer. The exhaust doesnt put your hair on end, etc, etc, theres so much more to driving pleasure IMO.

Besides I'm not allowed out :cry:

It was the handling more so than the power that made me move on from the 996 to the 997turbo...
Not looked back since :p

garyw

I agree the 997 is very well planted. I just so wish they would make a 997 Targa Turbo

Chris W said:
So Poo said:
So - when are you getting one?

I could go today, chop in 993 and pay cash no problem, done.

But...I love my car, love the fact that I have to respect it and cant behave stupidly, and personally the TT lookswise just doesnt quite turn me on enough. There was a 997 GT3 in graphite last night and personally I thought it looked much nicer. The exhaust doesnt put your hair on end, etc, etc, theres so much more to driving pleasure IMO.

Besides I'm not allowed out :cry:

No excuse, if you want a 911 Turbo (or 997 GT3), the dealer will come to you!

Chris, I was lucky enough to drive this beastie a few weeks ago:

tt1.jpg

I can confirm they are not limited to <175mph! :shock: On the track of course! :oops: Agree, the handling and grip simply has to be experienced to be believed. It's insane!

The acceleration is phenomenal, as you would expect. You struggle to move, such is the force pushing back into the seat. But I was staggered how quickly it accelerated from huge speeds to even more huge speeds, it's just got so much power! :lol:

The one I drove was a tip, which are supposed to be faster than the stick shift, but I'm definitely a manual man!

I've got some video of the experience on my phone, remind me to show you next time we hook up - it's hilarious!!

Asim you lucky *****, 24hr thing or what? Looks the dogs in black.

All this is now playing on my mind and I keep getting flash backs, my brain couldnt compute last night (never does with all that Pork at the Ace) but I'm actually thinking this is the start of something and I'll end up in one.....I can see its going to Dan Mk2 shall I/shan't I? lol

Unfortunately I only drove it for about 30 mins. But that was enough!!

It's a nice car but not for me, even if I could afford one. Maybe the tip transmission was the reason, but it felt a bit souless. Besides with that power I'd either behind bars or 6ft under! :lol:

Get a 993 TT mate. They're plenty fast enough!

993C2S said:
Unfortunately I only drove it for about 30 mins. But that was enough!!

It's a nice car but not for me, even if I could afford one. Maybe the tip transmission was the reason, but it felt a bit souless. Besides with that power I'd either behind bars or 6ft under! :lol:

Get a 993 TT mate. They're plenty fast enough!

Altho I didnt get to drive it was a manual.

The attraction of this is the traction, which the 993 TT wouldnt offer good tho' it is. I remember going in a 996TT when it came out and that blew me away then but this is another dimension. Now put the running gear into a 959 shell with a few tweaks and that would be heaven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back