Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Track day Mods

It's all down to the driver! eg, someone who can drive a 993 RS much better than me will run rings around someone who can't drive a GT3 (with or without supercharger! :wink: )!! :wink:

Boxsey said:
Ian Reynolds said:
I'm llooking forward to the day with Sean (Brands GP on Monday), and will let you know how it went.

I've seen a few comments on PH about how the day went. Tell us, if you can, what makes the likes of Sean able to pass both 996 & 997 GT3s in a 964C2?

I think what makes the biggest difference is the abiltiy to carry speed into and through a corner. Getting the braking and turn in right every time makes a big difference here - I was suprised how much difference turning in just a little early or late made to exit speed. Also, using all the track on exit and not holding the car in too tight.

Until the day, even though I'd had the usual 20 minute tuition sessions on other trackdays, I'd not realised quite how hard and how late you can brake in a 964, and how early you can get the power on - you're basically on full throttle from the apex.

Sean's a really good tutor, pretty relaxed and doesn't over complicate it. He gave me one or two critical tips for each corner, along with some general help. I'm already thinking about booking him for another day. He's a nice guy as well, bit depressing that he's only 20 and can drive like that!

Totally agree that the driver makes a huge difference, that's why I was wondering what makes the likes of Sean so good especially at his age!!

It must have been great to see how quick your car could go and then how much quicker you could make it go yourself with his instruction :) .

Just think what you'll be like what you find that RS :wink:

Having raced 911's on and off since 1993 here is my advice. Yes a 964 RS is quicker on the circuit because a lot of the rubber in the suspension was removed. The car does not move around as much and the clubsports are a lot lighter. Brakes were the same as 3.3 turbo set up.
In truth the longer you stay flat on the accelerator and the lesser time you spend on the brakes makes you quicker. Exit speed from a corner is very important as you carry much more speed down the straight. Avoid at all cost adjustable dampers. Most drivers will never acquire the skill to set them to their optimimum, all you'll do is spend hours messing around with their settings and learning nothing. The improvement in your own ability will make the difference not 2 clicks off the bump setting on the shocks. If the car has a particular problem at a specific corner learn to drive around the problem and in the long run it will make you a far better driver. (this is not meant as a slight against anyones ability).
Here is an example and it is a true story. Two chaps that have raced Porsche's for many years retired from an FIA GT race as their 996 GT3RS lost the offside front wheel assembly. After the race had finished the mechanics went to the post at that corner that they had stopped to recover the missing components, they were not there. They thought oh well some of the marshalls had taken it home as a souvenier. Whilst packing the kit away one of the recovery trucks pulls up and asks if this belonged to them. The assembly had fallen off at post four. So the driver had taken a 180 degree left hander, hit 140 down the straight, taken a 180 degree right hander before realising he had lost the bloody wheel. Now these are two guys that would argue to the point of nearly having a punch up as to what bump/rebound settings they should run. When a good friend related this story I cried with laughter.

911UK said:
In order of cost

1. CG-Lock
2. Uprated brake fluid, Castrol SRF or any Dot 5.1
3. Geo
4. Uprated cooling for the brakes
5. Front Strut Brace

Done

Just got my CG-Lock (at quite a saving on the RRP by buying it from Car Limits) and will be putting it to the test for the first time at Donnington, a week on Sunday. :D

Porsche weight savin

Hi
I decided to make my porsche 964 rs faster on the track by putting on a fibreglass bonnet and doors , it wasn't expensive and the company i found supplied good fitting parts. It's woth looking at! If your interested i can give you the company details.

Regards

Re: Porsche weight savin

young said:
Hi
I decided to make my porsche 964 rs faster on the track by putting on a fibreglass bonnet and doors , it wasn't expensive and the company i found supplied good fitting parts. It's woth looking at! If your interested i can give you the company details.

Regards

Wow! I admire your style 8) . I think I'd better do some of the more basic suggestions first. There were so many suggestions to get some good track tuition that I booked SMTK's Prodrive day as soon as I saw it :) .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back