Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie wants advice on buying

nevoptom

Monza
Anyone help, i'm trying to get as much info on these cars as poss.
By the way, can u poss fit a small suitcase in the back seats (not as if i'm planning to but it has crossed my mind.

nevoptom said:
Hi there,
I'm currently a m3 convert driver. e46 shape. Love the car however getting a little annoyed at seeing so many on the road.
I've always wanted a c4s ever since i saw one.
I'm now looking deep into getting one.
The thing is, is i don't know what to look out for.
I know what i want in it, Tip, PCM2, xenons, Phone module, sunrrof (to make up for not having a convert!!!)

Do xenons come standard on the c4s? Does the PCM2 have TMC?
I don't really cane the cars i have, however put it through its paces only on the motorways-(when clear), so are there many problems that can go wrong with them?
Is it worth transfering my aftermarket warranty to it, or get the 111check the buy the warranty from Porsche?

Anyone help, i'm trying to get as much info on these cars as poss.
By the way, can u poss fit a small suitcase in the back seats (not as if i'm planning to but it has crossed my mind.

I had a C4S for over 3 years, great car so great choice! Loved it to bits and was so sad to see her go :(

The Porsche warranty is essential, so get that covered off :)

Yes, it is possible to put a small suitcase (well actually you can fit a large one) in the rear, the front will hold a standard sized roll-on, camera bag, shoes, etc etc.

I can't say much about the PCM2 as I never had it, apparently it's nice to have as a resale feature, it's functionality is limited in this day and age. The phone module is NOT bluetooth so you'll need a second SIM card.

Stuff the sunroof ;) the roof is really nice to wax, a sunroof would just spoil the lines!

The Tiptronic is not like an SMGed E46 (I had two M3's, 3 E46s) it's a real automatic, is this something you want? The manual car is wonderful, the gearbox is certainly a whole lot better than a manual M3.

I think MY2003 C4S have Litronics (Xenons) as standard, if you are used to the M3's lights you'll be wanting these, they are great, not as blue as the M3 though!

Problems are few and far between, occasionally you see RMS (rear main seal) mentioned, it's a tiny oil leak caused by a crappy seal, sorted under Porsche warranty. On low mileage cars brake discs can be rusty and will need replacing. The front picks up stonechips like tomorrow.

Anymore? I love C4Ss much more than Turbos

BTW, get one with a Porsche Sports Exhaust, essential!

nevoptom

Damain's response pretty much covers all of it :)

PCM2, doesnt have TCM and the system is somewhat lacking as the world of modern sat nav has moved on i.e. no postcode input

Forget the sunroof, headroof is better

and the back seats make a great space for luggage and a fair few bits

I had my C4S for over 50k miles (sold her at 54k), only needed several sets of tyres (trackdays), 3 sets of front discs, 2 sets of rears (1 set being the originals), several sets of pads, two brake fluid changes.

It had better MPG than an M3, it's better in the snow than an M3 and drives far better than one too. Downside, the interior is not a patch on an M3, I miss my Steel Grey and Imola Red interior.

Brain dump finished again :)

Nevoptom

I have an 03 C4S with all the spec you mention, and personally I think you have hit the nail on the head ! Every time I buy a car, I spec it with a sunroof, it's just something I like on a car !

You go for it !!

They're very practical- took my two nippers in the back, plus various bags and a pushchair to the wildlife park on saturday.

I had an '04 Alpina B3S Conv before my C4S as my daily driver, the breadth of ability of the C4S still has not ceased to amaze. Also, you'll really notice how rigid the coupe body is after the cabrio.

I'd not get too hung up on the sunroof- its more like looking out of a letterbox IMO.

What's your budget?

C4S is a fine choice. PCM in my new car isn't even as good as some of the aftermarket devices however it's nice and neat and doesn't need plugging in, stuck on etc.

I find the back seat space quite versatile on my 997, just did Le Mans camping with a passenger, all of our kit, tents etc and didn't have a problem at all. Porsche do luggage to fit individual cars as well like the front boot space.

Good luck with your search

Hi

I had an M3 Convertible for 3 years prior to getting a C4S. The C4S is a far better car and fantastic fun. I have had mine a year now and loving every minute.
Mine has Litronic lights which are good but not quite as good as the Xenons on the M3. Dont have PCM but cant say that is a problem. However, i wish i had a sports exhaust, this appears to be the Must have option.

Good luck finding one.

Rich

Hey guys, thanks for all your well thought out responses......i think u guys have really helped me out.

oh by the way, the sports exhaust, how do i tell the diff? i guess it makes a better sound? i see some places say its switchable?? i presume this means u can switch it from normal mode to sport mode?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back