Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Carrera 4 ground clearance question.

Dejan

Hello,

I have a 996 C4 Cab which I will be driving trough Europe to my summer house and I think I may have a slight problem.

The worry I have is that to get to the close that my house and garage are in I have a very steep drop to overcome thats only about 10 meters long but drops by 3 meters.

The concern is that the ground clearance will not be enough and I will beach the car...and/or that the nose is too long and low and that the front spoiler will scrape at the bottom of the road when it levels out.

What Im wondering is if anyone knows the maximum angles for the road to clear at the top and bottom of a slope?

My car is currenlty in Chiswick OPC this week with the manual so cant refer to clearance to work the numbers out.

It would be much appreciated if anyone knows the answer to my question or the ground clearance and dimensions of the a standarad C4 Cab, and the length of the nose from tip to mid front wheel and clearance?

Cheers

Dejan

My Boxster's nose used to catch on a slope of about 3m long, with 1m drop (so, 3:1 ratio), which doesn't sound that different to what you describe.

It would scrape underneath (the plastic bit) at the bottom of the slide (marked with the *), but would just about manage.

The drop is like this (apologies for ASCII diagram)

-\
--\
---\
----\*_______

Obviously not that steep(!) and the nose caught at the bottom of the hill.

It seemed to scratch on the left and right side of the front bumper, but went up and down this slope for about 4 years without any noticeable damage.

I don't think the front of the Boxster on standard springs is any different to standard springs on a C4, but I'm sure someone on here will clarify.

Many thanks!

Thanks for your reply

I guess I'll have to confirm the dimensions when I get my car back. But I as you say I think the clearance is very similar to the boxters and the nose too. So at a 3:1 ratio you didnt scrape the underside of the car?

cheers

Dejan

Can help if you start the bottom of the slope at an angle rather than head on too. And better if you can turn at the top so you're not dragging the front splitter over the obstruction backwards - I get the impression they're a lot happier going forwards.

Also, the slope at Chiswick up onto the roof car park is fairly steep if memory serves, maybe take a look at that when you pick the car up though they'll probably think you're a bit mad if you start getting a tape measure out and start measuring up their property! :lol:

Chris

Chiswick ramp

HI

I had a look at the ramp when I brought the car in on Monday, the slope I have to tackle is for sure steeper than the one at the OPC, but not sure by how much. Having that checked by my friendly neighbour today to lt me know.

Approaching at an angle is a thought....

again thanks for your responses.

Clearances

For anyone interested here are the figures from the manual

Ground Clearance 100mm
Overhang angle front 12'
rear 14.5'
Ramp angle 13'

on ordinary Carrera

Hi,

The angle right at the top is rounded off, so not pointy/as severe as at the bottom.

I've never had any problems at the top, or as a 996 Targa which parks on there quite regularly.

However, at the top, you do come in/go out at a slight angle (about 30degrees).

If you get all the way down there, you could always do a Paris Top Gear and put a couple of pieces of wood at the top/bottom to improve the angle.

Not ideal, I know, but at least you will be able to get your car up/down after driving all that way.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back