Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front tyres

Steve Wright

Whats the best tyres for the front of my 4S, Im on michelins whats the difference with the cup tyre Ive seen advertised instead of the extra load.

Steve Wright said:
Whats the best tyres for the front of my 4S, Im on michelins whats the difference with the cup tyre Ive seen advertised instead of the extra load.

You can't (read shouldn't) mix tyres on any Porsche, so if you are going to replace the fronts you should do the rears too.

Using a Cup you should be aware of the short life of them, they start at about 5-6mm rather than 8-9mm of normal tyres. You will need to exercise extreme care in the wet even with 4wd and PSM.

Ok will just stick with the standard michelins the rears are still 5mm. I suffered some quite bad understeer in a tight corner last week, the fronts are down to 3mm so must be time for a pair, should improve things.

Hi Steve,

As I haven't had to replace my 997 tyres yet I can't comment on options, personally I would always go for a softer tyre for a quieter ride and grip.

However with regard to mixing of front and rear tyres, I had a 996 c2 which had conti's on the front (very hard wearing) and yoko's on the rear, the grip was amazing, wear was approx 8,000 to 10,000 miles.

I used this car with this tyre setup on a Porsche driving day, and the instructor was astounded when he drove it around the track at the levels of stability and grip, he was genuinely surprised.

Now having said that the official line is not to mix tyres, but there's always an exception to the rule.

I have heard on this forum its alright to mix tyres so long as the rears are the same as each other and the fronts are the same as each other too. And as long as all are N-rated then you should be ok...... :?

~ Maxie

Maxie Islam said:
I have heard on this forum its alright to mix tyres so long as the rears are the same as each other and the fronts are the same as each other too. And as long as all are N-rated then you should be ok...... :?

~ Maxie

The simple answer is on a 4S is not to mix tyres, can lead to unpredictable drive shifts.

Maxie Islam said:

~ Maxie

rare expections when you have the same brand overall but with the next evolutions of the N rated spec on either end IF YOU CAN NOT AVOID IT

otherwise the overriding advice is that it must the same N rated spec tyre all the way around

eeerrrr.....says a man with non-N ratedtoyo R888 trackday tyers :roll:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back