Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Tyres

On the Pzeros I tried 32/40 - just the driver and warm day... reckon I got better feel and feedback from the car particulary on B roads!! Going to try 34/42. What do you use Damian?... Are you running Michs though....

Roadhog1 said:
On the Pzeros I tried 32/40 - just the driver and warm day... reckon I got better feel and feedback from the car particulary on B roads!! Going to try 34/42. What do you use Damian?... Are you running Michs though....

On my C4S I used Corsas the majority of the time so I was at 35/38, on Michelins (with their weak walls) 2 psi off recommended, so 34/42 :)

On the GT3 I've yet to play with pressures ;)

It's a good job Stevo's on holiday :lol: This is his favourite subject by a long way. He is insistent that tyres must be at the manufacturers figures of 38/44. However most people do try different pressures and find one that suits them best. I personally run my 996tt on 35/39.

Ghost - where is the "can of worms" emoticon? :lol:

Dave said:
It's a good job Stevo's on holiday :lol: This is his favourite subject by a long way. He is insistent that tyres must be at the manufacturers figures of 38/44. However most people do try different pressures and find one that suits them best. I personally run my 996tt on 35/39

Good job too, I'll save that discussion with him until I find it difficult to sleep :)

Let's face it, travelling along at 10 mph with no heat generation 38/44 might be fine but get moving a bit, add a little braking and some cornering your 38/44 will be up at 45/50 very quickly. Throw the car on the track and see your pressures increase by 10psi!

Manufacturers tyre pressures are all cold pressures - they're well aware that the pressure increases with temperature - this rate isn't linear and so at normal pressures you typically see a 4psi rise when warm. If you drive on autobahns at continuous high speed then your cold pressure should actually be higher than normal - typically another 4psi.

Track days are totally different as you're compromising everything that recommended pressures were designed for for ultimate grip and compliance.

My tyre life lasts longer if I run them on manufactures pressures by a long way - but for road use and fast road use with increased tractability and grip I prefer 33 - 38

sound advice there chaps.

keep the pressures when cold at OEM, that's what all the Porsche and Tyre testing is for.

I recently put Michelin Pilot Sport2 N2 on the rear of my C4S (£490 Event Tyres) and it's become very steerable from the rear, almost too twitchy - but I haven't given the tyres a run in yet and I'm sure it will calm down over time.

Feels like a cat on steroids or summit bad because it's behaving like one ;o) It's a two handed tight grip all the time (which I prefer) and that's on the steering wheel.

BTW Sundeep is correct in saying keep the tyre pressures to OEM ratings and you wont go far wrong, but for my journey,roads and speeds I'm happy.
Cheers all

Well, with all the advice on here.... maybe I shouldn't be experimenting with diff pressures.. :lol: !! But, for me on rosso's (at the moment) the best combo giving the best feel and grip in the dry (IMHO), spirited driving through a few twisties is 32/42... (set on cold tyres)... :wink:

stats007 said:
I swapped the Continental Sport Contact 2s on my 996 C4 for Michelin Pilot Sport N1s all round. £558 all in fitted and would definitely get them again.

thats sounds a deal for tyres all round...who did that price?

Good point -nearest supplier I can find is around £700! for Michelin's.

just returned from the the ring for a chance of a life time free practice with a few laps of the daddy long of all circuits thrown in and i can confirm that the michilin pilots are the winners hands down. started with the continentals as fitted std,greatv daily shoes, always had them, then pushed the boat out and puchased a full set of miches. different car. enough said. my 996 is a michilin runner from now.

Dunlop P9090s. They're nearly half the price of Michelins and would you really notice the difference? Sourced from Black Circles and installed by Central Tyres, Tonbridge. £270 for the rears.

simes69 said:
Dunlop P9090s. They're nearly half the price of Michelins and would you really notice the difference? Sourced from Black Circles and installed by Central Tyres, Tonbridge. £270 for the rears.

I guess it depends on your style of driving. P9090s are a very good wet weather tyre, but they do not offer the same level of dry grip or responsiveness as the Michelins by a significant margin. Wa that £270 per tyre or for both? Great price is for both!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back