Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

buying a 1992 964 c4

sadams

Im finally in the market to buy my 1st 911,
Im looking at a 1992 964 c4 with 100k miles,on looking at the car it seems in good shape but there were drops of oil on the ground while starting the engine and also on swiching it off.
Any advise I would appriciate???????

Ive got an oil leak on my 993,but it only drips every few days so its not a major cause of concern but this 964 you have seen is doing it everytime???

Where do you see the drops?

I had a couple of small leaks front and back of the rear wheel which were the oil level sender and some leaky pipework. Not too expensive to fix.

leaks

It was coming from under the engine,in prob 5/6 different places,the guy said that it was because it was sitting for a long time,and with driving a week or so it shoul stop!!!!

1/ Don't believe a word he is saying as he's the seller.
2/ If you like the car get it professionally inspected.

It's not unusual for 964 engines to leak but that doesn't mean this one is minor. Some of the leaks are just an irritation and can be ignored for years or are easy to fix (chain covers for example) but some, such as the oil rings going at the bottom of the piston barrels, involve taking the engine to bits to fix and are therefore very expensine.

If you are going to buy this one don't without understanding what the problem is first.

Ian.

Re: leaks

sadams said:
It was coming from under the engine,in prob 5/6 different places,the guy said that it was because it was sitting for a long time,and with driving a week or so it shoul stop!!!!

That would be too many leaks for me. The leaks can be solved but some are more expensive than others. So as Ian says, get it inspected and find out how much they are going to cost to fix.

964's are famous for oil leaks; I think the most serious cause is the cyliner heads where there were no gaskets. You'd expect this to have been rectified in the course of the cars life.
Leaks from old pipes and the rms are not uncommon given the age and miles but I'd never buy any 911 with one and without detailed scrutiny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back