Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 CS or 996 GT3 RS

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 15 May 2007

if you worry about depreciation then you havent purchased for the right reasons any way,

with regards the cars, it is so subjective, I have had a racing driver who owns, an RS come in my car and comment that it is a far superior car to his, both suspension set up and engine wise, it all depends on your car they can vary quite a bit.

All I know is that I love mine, as I am sure poon and you love yours, and there is not much that comes close,

thrash to bits then drive home
Agree completely - I dont think you can go wrong with any good condition 3 variant (well except possibly for sport seats - too much like comfort!). They're so adjustable that you can make an RS ride high and soft and make a comfort ride low and hard - all part of the superior package :)

The depreciation of the cars should not be a deciding factor on purchase and seems to have settled now anyway.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142361

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll take a look and drive both variants and make a decision.

Cheers Jon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142366

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jon987S on 15 May 2007

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll take a look and drive both variants and make a decision.

Cheers Jon
which is the important factor, as also finding them can be quite difficult, esp a proper CS Gt3

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142394

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 15 May 2007
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 15 May 2007now from left field,
I would get a comfort with buckets and cage, mainly because I wouldnt be able to live with the sparatan interior in an RS, it looks cheap and plasticy.
where as the full leather of a comfort is real class,
also you would have to be a very very very good wheel man to get more than a second a lap difference from the two on track,
however on extierior looks, poons does look really smart
Before I bought my RS I worried over the fact that the interior didn't have leather, carbon etc.

Having got the RS I love its minimilist race look, I got in my Comfort just before Damian picked it up and thought it looked too fussy, plus the nomex over the leather seats are superb for grip!

Agree on the exterior Daz :D

Thanks...sniff....you didn't tell me that....sniff, sniff.

Carnewal sell alcantara seat cushions to replace the leather ones......nice and grippy.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142399

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damianc4s on 16 May 2007
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 15 May 2007[quote:hjd0jQLCOU="Previous poster"]Quote: [i:hjd0jQLCOU]Originally posted by Speed Freak on 15 May 2007now from left field,
I would get a comfort with buckets and cage, mainly because I wouldnt be able to live with the sparatan interior in an RS, it looks cheap and plasticy.
also you would have to be a very very very good wheel man to get more than a second a lap difference from the two on track,
Before I bought my RS I worried over the fact that the interior didn't have leather, carbon etc.

Having got the RS I love its minimilist race look, I got in my Comfort just before Damian picked it up and thought it looked too fussy, plus the nomex over the leather seats are superb for grip!

Carnewal sell alcantara seat cushions to replace the leather ones......nice and grippy.
[/quote]

Damian, I used to hate the CS/RS interior, times and tastes change, nothing wrong with your interior, its very nice, I just fancied a change!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142401

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 16 May 2007
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damianc4s on 16 May 2007[quote:YQxRV8GtHj="Previous poster"]Quote: [i:YQxRV8GtHj]Originally posted by poon on 15 May 2007[quote:YQxRV8GtHj="Previous poster"]Quote: [i:YQxRV8GtHj]Originally posted by Speed Freak on 15 May 2007now from left field,

[/quote]
Damian, I used to hate the CS/RS interior, times and tastes change, nothing wrong with your interior, its very nice, I just fancied a change!

[/quote]

I know :wink:

I came from a bright graphite grey interior to the inside of a coal shaft, complete with cage. The only thing missing was the yellow canary going tweet, tweet :)

It's good to have a change as long as we all respect each other, love each other and.....and.....and errr

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142402

Assuming you're talking about the Mk2 variant, buy on condition. There is no mechanical difference between the CS or Comfort versions. If both cars have the Recaro buckets, you will not find any difference between the leather or nomex interior in terms of grip. In terms of performance, they are identical.

The RS is marginally lighter and feels slightly different. If you have the budget for an RS, and you want an RS, then no argument will persuade you away from an RS. Performance wise, it is not very different compared to a Mk2, but the LWFW allows it to spin up slightly faster. The LWFW can be retrofitted to a Mk2. What can't be retrofitted is the suspension.

But you can upgrade a Mk2 to better-than-RS-spec by getting Manthey KWs with Uniballs.

Imho, an RS should be kept standard as an original RS... but that doesn't mean it will be the most performant. If you like to slowly upgrade your car over time, you'll be better off going with a Mk2, again imho.

But Dunc raises a good point: you may want to try out a Mk1 as well. Quite a different car with a unique character all its own.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142671

but Ade, surely the Mk1 is the best of the lot :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142694

It is.

Thanks for confirming. High praise indeed coming from an RS owner... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142720

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein