Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spent last hour cleaning the hole !

Hi Alan

The disks where replaced by Bentley Manchester in 03, so should have a bit of life left in them yet.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/911(9).jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141229

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Johnathan on 12 May 2007
Hi Alan
The disks where replaced by Bentley Manchester in 03, so should have a bit of life left in them yet.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/911(9).jpg

I killed a set of discs in 9 months, ok a slight exaggeration but enough to fail an MoT because of the cracks. A skimming might be enough to save them.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141230

Previous poster said:
Track use?

A few, but aggressive RS29 pads are to blame, they stress the area around the holes and little cracks start to appear.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141232

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damianc4s on 12 May 2007

Previous poster said:

Track use?
A few, but aggressive RS29 pads are to blame, they stress the area around the holes and little cracks start to appear.

which is what I've done

issue is that with the much higher temps, the uprated brake fluid and uprated brake pads are up to the job and makes the metal in the discs the weakest link, so repeated use at very high temps mean it's the discs that get weaker 1st ! thus surface crakes appear quicker and then spead quicker.. the glass window crack effect

one of the down sides of runing RS29 pads and SRF Brake fluid, as they are race spec

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141254

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 12 May 2007
issue is that with the much higher temps, the uprated brake fluid and uprated brake pads are up to the job and makes the metal in the discs the weakest link, so repeated use at very high temps mean it's the discs that get weaker 1st ! thus surface crakes appear quicker and then spead quicker.. the glass window crack effect
one of the down sides of runing RS29 pads and SRF Brake fluid, as they are race spec
[/quote:UuYit18HBt]

The surface cracks occur in solid discs because it's what happens with expanding/contracting metal between the surface and inner metal. Nothing wrong with surface cracks - the cracks don't go through.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141268

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by PolarExpress on 12 May 2007
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 12 May 2007issue is that with the much higher temps, the uprated brake fluid and uprated brake pads are up to the job and makes the metal in the discs the weakest link, so repeated use at very high temps mean it's the discs that get weaker 1st ! thus surface crakes appear quicker and then spead quicker.. the glass window crack effect
The surface cracks occur in solid discs because it's what happens with expanding/contracting metal between the surface and inner metal. Nothing wrong with surface cracks - the cracks don't go through.
[/quote:gVETjoGTmU]

Exactly, that's why a skimming might save them :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141274

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 10 May 2007

on my old 993 I used to get through a set of discs in a year as at the end of the day the pads and fuild had a higher temp rating than the meatl in the discs

overall nothig to worry about, just another addition to the TLC routine
I'm sure its a case of teaching your grandmother but when I was heading off for a track day, I had the car prepped and amongst other things, they changed the fluid to a different spec, and the disks got blown out etc etc ...

if only I could drive as fast as .......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141309

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back