Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie 996tt owner

Boony

Hi all,

Just got a 996tt yesterday and absolutely over the moon with it. It's everything I dreamt it would be.

However, there are a couple of issues with it.

1. When cornering (slowly) i get a faint clunk/thud from the rear. It sounds like an aeorsol can rolling in the boot of a regular car and hitting the side. What is there at the rear that could be moving about to cause such a sound?

2. The car pulls amazing right through the rev range, however when it hits around 125/130 MPH I get an horrendous rattle in the cab. It sounds like a swarm of angry wasps! It's not shaking the car any ideas what it could be or how I can track it down?

I don't think either are serious - just annoying.

Car was from an OPC so came with full warranty, but I'm quite a distance from my nearest and both problems sound like they'll be tricky to track down. Especially point 2.

Anyway, thanks for reading and hope someone can offer some advice.

Cheers,
Boon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137979

Welcome to the forum Boon - I am pretty new here myself as well. Congrats on the purchase too. I'll certainly vouch for your car pulling well through the rev range; a few weeks ago, I was part of a group drive in the southern home counties with some members from this forum. Amongst the merry band was a 996TT and also a 996 GT3. When those guys put their foot down, I think the rest of us were struggling to keep up. I know I was!

1. I also get a faint 'clunk/thud' from the rear but this only happens when I am changing gears (due to clutch plates engaging and disengaging, maybe?)

2. I also get a faint rattle at 115mph but before and beyong this, there is none at all. I am thinking it might be the resonant frequency of the body shell. If no one else gets this, then of course I am talking bo11ux. :oops:

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138007

guys, from talking to my mechanic last night i have a similar knocking that i attributed to the firm ride in the car, however he just laughed and pointed out that the anti-roll bar bushings needed replacing.

Maxie if you're changing gear and hearing this noise it could be the car's dynamic motion putting the weight to the front as you come off the accelerator and then rearward again under acceleration? If the bushings are gone i guess it could have this effect? Someone more knowledgable than me will hopefully correct my folly or confirm my superior intelligence (my money's on the former.... :) )

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138010

Welcome to the forum Boon! Can't help with the problems I'm afraid - but there is a fair bit of knowledge on here, so hopefully someone will be able to help.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138015

Cheers guys, a mechanic friend of mine has a few ideas so hopefully this weekend we'll identify/cure the problems.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138477

Welcome Boony (I am also on the MLR!!) if you dont have any luck finding the issues at the WE, there maybe (prob is) a good indy more local to you. These guys are normally very experienced and can offer superb advice and solutions (and they are cheaper that OPCs... :wink: ) My local, Northway, have been very good.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138524

Maxie if you're changing gear and hearing this noise it could be the car's dynamic motion putting the weight to the front as you come off the accelerator and then rearward again under acceleration? If the bushings are gone i guess it could have this effect? Someone more knowledgable than me will hopefully correct my folly or confirm my superior intelligence (my money's on the former.... :) )

Tim - I was at a PCGB gathering in Bond St last night and I spoke to an OPC guy there. He told me that this sound is normal and is nothing to worry about. He spoke of it being a characteristic of the 996. However, I guess at the next service I will be told if the bushings have gone or not. Thanks for the heads up anyhow - I am aware of this possible problem now.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138573

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back